• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Proper Finish for Baker Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I want to take an Indian made Baker smoothbore more accurate. Will have barrel rifled and want proper metal finish. Anyone done this with browning solution? Don't want it too course.

I have photos of a 1800/15 altered Baker that shows color case hardening remnants between the cock and the pan on the lock and it appears that the standing breech was hardened also.
216_1675.JPG

216_1677.JPG216_1682.JPG

216_1683.JPG

Also note the file marks on the barrel next to the standing breech. An untouched survivor of days gone past for sure that still shows original finishes. I'd bet DeWitt would have something interesting to say about this Baker though!

Mike

Last edited:
Here are a couple more photos of this 1800/15 Baker.
This one shows the original browning on the stub twist barrel with more filing marks visible:
216_1684.JPG

This photo shows the 1815 alteration to fit a socket bayonet to the Baker. The original bayonet apparently flew off when left on the barrel when shooting!
216_1692.JPG

And one last photo of the entire rifle:
216_1665 1800-1815 Baker.JPG

later, Mike

My latest intel is that of the 3 'reliable' Sellers that import fire locks from India, 2 use the same source, one of which is the Veteran Arms seller here in the US and I recall that Military Heritage is the other. Their Indian source - of which I forget the name - is supposed to be the better imported product.

What I particularly like about VA is that they go through them after receiving them from abroad. Now mind you, I've not bought their flint muskets like a Fusil de Chasse or such, which is supposed to be too clunky! But that of a matchlock (not much there that can go wrong there), hand mortar (it was flawless ... I didn't even need to tune the lock!) and a Baker (lock was fine too, I just reset the breech tang and 3 barrel wedges to my liking, they were too tight). Overall their assembly, fit and finish was really very good to excellent for what they are.

Back