• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Char Character

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Admendom to my last entry. Was just on a day trek and it had just snowed and everything was wet. I used a pinch of tow from my haversack to start some cedar shavings from some dead branchs. couldnt get enough dead innerbark to make a nest.

That’s ironic. The other day while out surveying the melt of spring, I stopped to practice my fire starting skills. The kit I grabbed when I left the house contained char cloth. I gathered a birds nest and inner bark on my way. I had no problem achieving flame but rested on my laurels and failed to sustain fire. After two attempts I conceded.
It is humbling to be beaten by a little flame when I practice so often, and I love every minute of it.

I live in South Central Kansas under a big ol' grove of cottonwood trees. I am always cleaning up limbs and having to cut down dead or dying trees. When you come across a limb that has been dead for some time, the wood is rotten to the point where a stern look could cause it to crumble (OK, I am exaggerating a little, but the wood is soft enough to break with your bare hands). That is punk wood. It is very light and would not be mistaken for good firewood. I just break off a flat piece and char one end and put it in my fire kit. Works slick, but you need an airtight container to put it out if you want to re-use it - otherwise it will burn up entirely as it is hard to put out and will smolder for some time. You may do things differently, but this works for me.

I remain your humble servant,

Just Dave

Rifleman1776 said:
colorado clyde said:
yes good punkwood will do that and really dry punkwood will light without being charred
which is why I prefer punkwood :thumbsup:

What do you mean by 'punkwood'? :confused:

The spongy and fibrous inards of a rotting tree. preferably boxelder in my neck of the woods. some trees are better than others. if you can't dismantle it with your fingers it probably won't work very well.
and it must be dry unless you char it.

Rifleman1776 said:
colorado clyde said:
yes good punkwood will do that and really dry punkwood will light without being charred

Short wood with a cigertte in the corner of the mouth and a switch blade in one pocket :haha:

tenngun said:
Rifleman1776 said:
colorado clyde said:

Short wood with a cigertte in the corner of the mouth and a switch blade in one pocket :haha:

You forgot the leather jacket and motorcycle :rotf:

colorado clyde said:
That’s ironic. The other day while out surveying the melt of spring, I stopped to practice my fire starting skills. The kit I grabbed when I left the house contained char cloth. I gathered a birds nest and inner bark on my way. I had no problem achieving flame but rested on my laurels and failed to sustain fire. After two attempts I conceded.
It is humbling to be beaten by a little flame when I practice so often, and I love every minute of it.

small candle will go a long way to keep flame alive.

Absolutely, my objective was to start a fire having only flint steel and some char cloth with me. Tinder was sourced within a one acre area. It was a personal challenge for me. I often try to start a fire during inclement weather”¦Even in a down pour or with limited resources. I find I learn a great deal and increase my skill. Over the years candle stubs have proven a valuable resource ”¦as has pine pitch, fatwood, and my beeswax based patch lube.

Back