• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Changing Pedersoli Frontier from Cap to Flint

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
In an ad for a NIB Pedersoli Fronter aka Cabela's Blue Ridge Hunter the discussion started about swapping the rifle over to flintlock from caplock. One member has done this and one member is considering this option but instead of using Pedersoli factory locks, there was a question of using after market locks. Ads are not meant to be discussion threads so..., I brought the discussion over to Flintlock Rifles so other folks might benefit.

Do the LR RPL locks not fit well? If I got a flintlock for it, at that price, I'd rather go with the higher quality lock. I wonder about a chambers builder's lock...

So IF we are talking about swapping out the rifle to become a flinter..., the Pedersoli locks on their Frontier rifle, which is marketed by Cabela's as the Blue Ridge Hunter, are fine. L&R Replacement locks may be a bit better, but..., they are meant for you to alter the lock mortise on the stock to accept them, and when you do that, then the Pedersoli caplock will not longer fit. The Chambers builder's lock is higher quality, and you would modify that lock plate to fit the lock mortise on the stock..., in theory, but it's also possible that you might find the lock mortise needed modification too. Neither option was meant to create something interchangeable with the factory lock, from what I've read about them. @Griz44Mag has reported in a previous post that you can swap the Pedersoli factory caplock and flintlock without mods.
-
The objections about the lock on the Frontier flintlock models are not that the lock is bad. The objections are that being made in Italy, the locks can be higher cost than American made, but..., in this case I think you avoid additional work on the rifle other than removing the drum and installing a touchhole liner. Another objection is replacement parts can be pricey and can from time to time be hard to get, but..., luckily one doesn't need to replace the parts very often. The third objection is to Pedersoli's use of a wood screw, just in front of the bend in the frizzen spring, to help hold the lock in place, as the lock has only one lock bolt. A single bolt is fine, and was rather common on some plain rifles of the time period, and the reason for it is likely that Pedersoli wanted to use two lock bolts, BUT the shaft from the forward bolt would interfere with the ramrod in the ramrod channel. The result is..., that you must be gentle when removing the lock for cleaning and service so as not to strip out the wood where the wood screw fits. No matter what lock you used, you would likely not be able to use two lock bolts.

FRONTIER LOCK WOOD SCREW CLOSEUP.jpg

LD

So, I’m not much of, for lack of better words, “ not knowing how a rifle really is designed kinda guy” would this be the same rifle they manufacture and at the end decide which lock they’re going to put on? Other than the lock the touch hole liner is different? So to change, these 2 parts are easy to do? Thanks, in my learning phase here.. all in prelude for a build soon.

I have a 45 frontier with both locks and swapped back and forth easily and competed in the flint and percussion class with the same rifle on the same day. The pedersoli flintlock was the fast ignition and reliable flintlock I have ever owned. It’s a great lock and makes a ton of sparks and get about 65-70 shots per flints. But thats just my particular rifle. I have since went to a full custom with a siler lock and it fires consistently but is no where near as fast ignition time. Could be the rifle as a whole and not just a lock too. But I still love the pedersoli but it’s not nearly as pretty as the custom.

On another note, I changed a Pedersoli Charleville from flint to percussion.
I was having problems with the touch hole being too low in relation to the pan. A trip to a machine shop was needed. They drilled and tapped for a 1/4x28 touch hole liner. Ignition improved greatly. Then, I got the idea to make the C'ville into a cap lock. I bought a 1803 Harpers Ferry percussion lock from Pedersoli and a drum and nipple from TOW. Remove the flint lock and unscrew the touch hole liner, replace with the drum and nipple and install the cap lock. Direct fit between the two locks. Support for the drum from the new lock.
In my case, changing from flint to percussion shows that lock changes can be done on Pedersoli firearms.

L&R makes a Replacement Lock for this swap. I converted a Dixie Tennessee Mountain Rifle over to flint 30 years ago...can't be much different today. I would think a direct Pedersoli to Pedersoli would probably be a drop in.

I have a 45 frontier with both locks and swapped back and forth easily and competed in the flint and percussion class with the same rifle on the same day. The pedersoli flintlock was the fast ignition and reliable flintlock I have ever owned. It’s a great lock and makes a ton of sparks and get about 65-70 shots per flints. But thats just my particular rifle. I have since went to a full custom with a siler lock and it fires consistently but is no where near as fast ignition time. Could be the rifle as a whole and not just a lock too. But I still love the pedersoli but it’s not nearly as pretty as the custom.
I do not have a Pedersoli Frontier, but I do have their Scout, and I have both the flint and percussion lock for it. Changeover takes but a few minutes, and I have had no issues shooting either configuration. I like the L&R locks, but if a decent OEM lock is available, that is the way I would go.
1642098011231.jpeg

After looking up some pictures of the breech plug in the blue ridge, it seems like it's a very similar design to the CVA/traditions plug, where the drum for the percussion lock is just threaded straight through the breech plug threads into the patent breech chamber.

I'm wondering if this same practice would be possible with the Traditions percussion rifles that use this design. Remove the drum, put in a vent liner, put in the flintlock.

After looking up some pictures of the breech plug in the blue ridge, it seems like it's a very similar design to the CVA/traditions plug, where the drum for the percussion lock is just threaded straight through the breech plug threads into the patent breech chamber.

I'm wondering if this same practice would be possible with the Traditions percussion rifles that use this design. Remove the drum, put in a vent liner, put in the flintlock.
May want to look closer. On the Pedersolis that I have owned, the threaded hole for the drum or touchhole is in front of the breech plug face and is only in the barrel, not through the barrel and breech plug like CVA/Traditions. It is usually not recommended to remove the drum from a CVA/Traditions, but that doesn’t mean it can’t be done. And the CVA/Traditions flintlock can be challenging, to say it politely. You could use the L&R flintlock, but I don’t know if you could easily go back and forth with the original percussion lock after installation modifications. I have a Lyman with the L&R installed, and going back to the original lock would require removing wood that had to be installed to get the L&R to fit.

I had this exact same thought! Mainly 'cause I've got a Traditions kit in percussion, but I'm eaager to try a flintlock.

So I called Traditions, and a very polite woman told me in no uncertain terms: NO.

She wasn't mean or anything, just firm. Sounds like the Lawyers have put the fear of Court into Traditions... so they don't sell parts, just full kits.

She did explain that the percussion barrel has a snail drum; I found a post on Cast Boolits that informed me that means it's mounted to the breech plug, not the bbl, (tip o' the hat to @SDSmlf as well) so switching 'em out isn't as easy if it were on the bbl.

So, if I wanted to install a flint lock, I'd have to buy a different maker's lock, verify the cock/pan/snail drum-to-touch hole geometry, modify the lock mortise...

Not worth it for a Traditions gun, IMO. So I'll build it as-is and plan on a flintlock down the road.

Latest posts

Back