• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

changing length of pull

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott adair

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Back to the blue ridge kit again.

I seem to remember seeing somewher that the blueridge has a fairly long length of pull. Seems to me it would be a fairly straightforward process to shorten the stock a bit and reinlet the buttplate. Might have to trim the buttplate a bit. Am I missing anything?

Scott

Barn guns and Poor boy rifles are cheaper specifically because fitting a buttplate is such a pain!

Your hourly pay X 4-6 hours + cost of the buttplate = why guns with buttplates cost more!

But then, the other guys' skill and time is never worth what he thinks it is, right!

Many books recomend that you fit the buttplate as the first operation. That way you can give up on the build before you get to the "hard stuff"

:front:

It's hard to re-fit a buttplate to a shorter stock without modifying it more than shortening. The stock usually tapers on the comb from the buttplate forward. So when you shorten the stock, it is now narrower at the front of the buttplate. And the buttplate is now too wide.

It is also harder to inlet a buttplate on a finished stock and keep it square, because nothing else is square anymore. Just warning you, it's not easy.

Refitting a buttplate on a finished gun would be a daunting task and probably would involve refinishing in that area when you dress everthing down.

Concerning fitting buttplate first, I don't see how you can build a rifle like that. You inlet the barrel, locate the touch hole, inlet the lock, inlet the trigger, measure pull, and fit the buttplate. I know no other way that makes any sense. Anyone else agree or disagree?

Its some work, but better than having too long a length of pull. I finally cut off my Green River Leman (was 14 1/2") after putting up with it for about 25 years. Am now also cutting off a full stock Green River Hawken. You are right, you may have to file down the butt plate to match the wood, and may need to refinish. But too long is not comfortable to shoot. If you are careful and file the plate off the rifle, you may not need to refinish the stock.

Its some work, but better than having too long a length of pull. I finally cut off my Green River Leman (was 14 1/2") after putting up with it for about 25 years. Am now also cutting off a full stock Green River Hawken. You are right, you may have to file down the butt plate to match the wood, and may need to refinish. But too long is not comfortable to shoot. If you are careful and file the plate off the rifle, you may not need to refinish the stock.

Easy way,

Fit the butt plate, then use masking tape to protect the stock and file the plate down level with the masking tape. Works for me

Back