• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Changing Calibers on Muzzleloaders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seewaage

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm thinking about getting into muzzleloading because, quite simply, it looks more interesting than my normal, brass cartridge rifles.

My question is: does anyone know if you can get a different barrel for your muzzleloader? The reason is that I mostly do squirrel and rabbit hunting so I'd like a smaller caliber. It seems that 95% of available muzzleloaders are .50 caliber.

In my ideal world, I could buy a .50 caliber muzzleoader but have a .32 or .36 caliber barrel put on it later if I want to go smaller.

Is that possible?

Thanks!

Yes it is possible, and some companies have made Squirrel/ deer combo guns in the past.. The major consideration is the type or style of muzzleloader. Swapping barrels is best suited to a halfstock rifle with a wedge key and hooked breech...

One other consideration is just simply loading the gun down (reduced powder charge) I do most of my squirrel hunting with a .45 cal...as do many...Even a .50 cal is not too big IMO.

A dozen years ago I bought a Traditions Deerhunter combo, it is a half stock rifle that came with two barrels a .50 and a .32. I ended up buying a second stock assy. and changed from a combo to two rifles.
Yes you can find drop in bbls for some rifles to change bore or as said change charges. Jim

yes it is easy if you have a half stock. like a lyman gpr or a t-c hawken.

I started with a gpr in .50 then got a .40 cal. barrel for it. can switch them around with no problems.

Although it can be done like others stated at probably would be easier to get two different caliber, good used guns. Smaller caliber guns are getting harder to find these days and when you find them, they are pricy. I know of no one that makes a combo these days and to have a custom barrel to match/fit would probably cost as much or more than a good used one. You could maybe make a compromise and go with a smaller deer rifle like 45 and some states even allow .40.

Another important thing to consider when going with a two barrel exchange set up is the heavy weight factor of the smaller caliber barrel.

A 32 caliber barrel that is 15\16" across the flats is a boat anchor to carry around in the woods!

I suggest going with 2 separate rifles that are designed for each caliber. You will be very happy you did and eventually end up with the dreaded black powder syndrome! Where there just are not enough muzzle loaders in your gun closet!

I had the traditions combo mentioned above. Accurate but cheaply made. Sold it. I have a .32 crockett now for small game and from .45 to .58 for the large game here in AZ. Also 20ga and 12ga.

A member, Cowboy?, has a GPR and was able to obtain a .32 drop in. Gave him fits but he dialed it in and now has a .50 (or .54?) and a .32 for his one stock.

So....just chose one, big or small and start shooting. We will be here to guide you to your next 17 rifle/pistol and shot gun acquisitions (it is an addiction ya know :idunno: )

Welcome to by the way!

Feasible and mechanically easy as a matter of fact. A few years back Green Mountain Barrels manufactured a whole string of "drop-in" barrels for muzzleloaders, but mostly for TC Hawkens and Renegades. Sadly they don't do that any more. The Gun Works in Oregon still makes them on order, but for the most part you'll be looking for GM barrels and tied to the TC rifles as a platform without a Gun Works order. I see that Track of the Wolf currently has a used 54 caliber GM drop-in barrel for sale, but the smaller calibers are scarcer.

Welcome to the forum, seewage. Look for used guns in .32 or .36 and see if you find what you want. A Traditions Crockett in .32 is a very accurate rifle for a factory product. Traditions also makes another rifle in that caliber as well as a larger one if you like.

Also, you might try to find a muzzleloading club in your area. I don't what the options might be in Arizona, but most black powder shooters are happy to show off their guns and introduce a newbie to the joy of shooting one. I often allow people at our local range shoot mine. That would also give you a chance to handle different guns and see what you like. Not only that, many of us who have muzzle loaders often have several extra and might even have one we would part with at a reasonable price.

Get a trade gun, musket, buck and ball gun, smooth rifle or fowling gun in 28 to 11 gauge. Use ball for close large game and shot for bunnies and squirrels.

It short, get a Smoothbore. It can do all, maybe not as good but it still can.

I have a T/C Renegade that I have acquired several barrels for, I have .32, .36, .45, .50. .54, .56. and .58. A very versatile gun. The .32 is set up for target work from the bench. It is much too heavy to lug around. The .36 is heavy too, but I like a muzzle heavy gun so I don't mind it that much except on real long hikes.

Dang, all you need is one of the 62 smoothie barrels and you have an arsenal! Based on the one in my house I can sure recommend the 62 as well.

Good illustration of versatility and possibilities.

Why swap barrels when this is an opportunity to own 2 (or more) guns...?

A production gun, pretty much your only choice for the interchangeable barrels option, is the Pinto/Gremlin/VW Bug of the gun world - functional, but hardly high-performing (are great starter guns). Save your money and buy a quality firearm - You won't regret the investment.

I've thought about having an old .50 cal barrel I have lying about rebored by Mr. Hoyt to .62, but I really don't know what I would use it for. I hardly shoot my .56 smooth bore. I'm more a rifle guy.

I picked up some years back a Cabela's Hawken rifle with two barrels. 50 & 58. I have thought of getting yet another barrel of smaller caliber like 36 or 40. I'd probably go 40 since it's one of the few calibers I don't have.

At 32" long a GM .62 barrel is just flat good on a TC Hawken. If you need rifling cut in it there's folks can do that.

Latest posts

Back