• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chambers Virginia/English, or Large Siler???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fw707

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, I'm hoping to buy or build a new .54 rifle pretty soon and I've got a little bit of a decision to make. :hmm:
I got a fowler from Tip Curtis a few months back with a Chambers Colonial Virginia lock, and it's probably the best lock I've ever had on a gun. It's strong, fast, and dependable, and pretty easy on flints.
I'm having a hard time finding a kit rifle that uses the Colonial Virginia or English Round Face lock, but I have seen several that are inletted for the large Siler. I have a small Siler on a .40 caliber rifle and it works great, but I've never owned a large Siler.
Can anybody that owns both give me some opinions??
I really hate to let the lock be the deciding factor on building a gun, but I really like the big Chambers Round Face lock.

Large English locks look great on a Virginia gun from 1740-1770 or so. The Siler is a 1770's-1780's lock. Buy a kit w/o the lock pre-inlet. Those pre-inlets drive me crazy anyway as the lock tends to tip this way and that on the way in.

I put a large Siler on my wife's .45, and a deluxe large siler on my last scratchbuilt. I think Siler locks are great (just one guy's opion). As far as p.c.- i defer to those with more interest, skill and education in the matter. my admittedly self- centered view of p.c. is pretty delf centered: i'm not building to make a perfect copy of this or that specific rifle. if you're buildig the piece to suit yourself, and you're happy with it, i don't think you should get overly excited about 'what other people think.' having said that, the lock should pretty much fit the period. well- one guys rant is another's wisdom.

All three mentioned are excellent locks. The Virginia will be a little more sparky, bigger flint.

I agree with Rich, buy the stock without the lock inlet even if you choose the Large Siler.

I think the best advice is to go to the Chambers' web site and make a decision there. Jim Chambers makes the Siler locks and the round faced locks. He will work with you on the rifle you want to build. follow the link in Roy's post.

Both locks are very good. The big question is are you concerned about the period you are presenting to others?

I have a Siler lock on my fowler and it is very reliable.

The only advantage of the lg Siler, is that due to the size, and the throw of the cock on the English/Virginia, the Siler should be, and from my experience is, just a tad faster. Not enough to base a decision on though, unless you are going to use it in serious competition.

I have 2 large Silers and one Chambers Virginia.

I consider the Virginia a much better lock. It's just as fast, twice as easy on flints, and just plain more reliable.

My next flintlock will wear a Chambers English as well.

Thanks everybody for the replies.
I've thought about inletting the lock myself, but that means I'd be inletting the triggers too and that might be a little above my skill level. :confused:
I've spent a lot of time on the Chambers site the last couple of weeks. The Mark Silver-Virginia Rifle is just about what I was looking for, but it's only available in .58 and .62 caliber.

That was my first thought after I posted that. :haha: A .58 would be nice though :hmm:

fw, I can't help not adding my 2 cents here. The Chabers English lock is unbaetable. I have one in front of me as I type and another one out in the shop. One is for a 28 g. 44 5/8" smooth rifle Virginia gun and the other is for a .40 smooth rifle with York lines. About the time I have both inlet I will order 3 more locks.

The York is going a very slim and quite long (44" A weight). The English lock although being a big lock will fit almost any place you need it. The only thing that you need to think about is the main spring. I built a 4 bore once and had a bugger of a time fitting the wide main spring under the big barrel.As I recall the breech was 1 1/2" across the flats.

If you want a Virginia style rifle I would highly recammend the Chambers gun. You can't beat the service you will get or the quality of all the parts in the kit.

If you want a smaller bore, call and talk to Barby Chambers, she might be able to set you up.

Well I guess that's 3 cents. Anyhow good luck.

Bruce

As Longsmoke said you should be able to get other calibers. The latest Rice Barrel Co. flier that I have lists the barrel profile that fits that kit shows from 62 all the way down to 32 caliber. Just remember that a small hole will soon add a lot of weight to a barrel as beefy as the one used for the Mark Silver kit.

Back