• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Centaur Belgian revolver???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wondering why anyone would pay more for these repos than a modern CNC made Pietta...What am I missing?
I've now tested >30 repro 1860s (and several originals) in a Ransom Rest; the Centaures tested have been consistently been the most-accurate (by group size) and have had the most-consistent accuracy. Work done the test guns was been limited to fixing any issues with short arbors (the Centaures didn't need this), re-crowning the muzzle if needed, and making sure the nipples fit the caps; with any minor repairs done as needed through the course of shooting. Test consisted of 5)10-shot groups fired at 25, 50, and 100 yards. I tested 3 charges in each gun, all with round ball. Lube, powder lot, and cap lot were all the same throughout.

I've owned a Centaure 1960 Army for 62 years.
Fairly well made, and accuracy is adequate, but terrible with regard to repeated chainfires. With either cylinder, it is only safe to shoot as a single shot.
Wedge and loading lever latch sizes don't match any modern replicas. Neither does bolt width, and in general, they don't seem to be a close match for the Colt either. I'm going to convert mine to .45acp to eliminate the chainfire issue.

I much prefer my Ubertis, even with their short arbor issues (which are easy to fix).

The Centaures seem to be selling for high prices, but I don't see why.

I've now tested >30 repro 1860s (and several originals) in a Ransom Rest; the Centaures tested have been consistently been the most-accurate (by group size) and have had the most-consistent accuracy. Work done the test guns was been limited to fixing any issues with short arbors (the Centaures didn't need this), re-crowning the muzzle if needed, and making sure the nipples fit the caps; with any minor repairs done as needed through the course of shooting. Test consisted of 5)10-shot groups fired at 25, 50, and 100 yards. I tested 3 charges in each gun, all with round ball. Lube, powder lot, and cap lot were all the same throughout.
OK, That's nice. Ransom tested out like modern gun testing guy do in the gun mags I used to read. I just have the one handed offhand shooting handicap for testing. So maybe I just got lucky when buying my Pietta's. The 2019 Pietta 1860 I used to win the 2019 Open top Colt division at the NMLRA nats needed no arbor, no chamber work, recrowning or throating. Only accuracy part of my tuning was the trigger job. Only shot this division once though so maybe just luck. Still waiting for the guy who`s coming to the nat`s to beat me with their super-duper-expensive-more -accurate- than my pietta gun. https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...0001c594e7/1567091385460/Scores_2019_June.pdf

OK, That's nice. Ransom tested out like modern gun testing guy do in the gun mags I used to read. I just have the one handed offhand shooting handicap for testing. So maybe I just got lucky when buying my Pietta's. The 2019 Pietta 1860 I used to win the 2019 Open top Colt division at the NMLRA nats needed no arbor, no chamber work, recrowning or throating. Only accuracy part of my tuning was the trigger job. Only shot this division once though so maybe just luck. Still waiting for the guy who`s coming to the nat`s to beat me with their super-duper-expensive-more -accurate- than my pietta gun. https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...0001c594e7/1567091385460/Scores_2019_June.pdf
You asked why someone might prefer a Centaure over a "modern CNC made Pietta"; I offered some possible answers. From the sound of things, you are a fine shot and the Pietta works well for you. However, there are other matches: I tested the revolvers for suitability for the matches I shoot (which do not include 25 yard bullseye). The results might be of no value to someone who shoots other matches.

I have no idea why, but you seem to have interpreted my response as some sort of attack on you or your Pietta. I sincerely apologize for whatever it was I wrote that caused this.

You asked why someone might prefer a Centaure over a "modern CNC made Pietta"; I offered some possible answers. From the sound of things, you are a fine shot and the Pietta works well for you. However, there are other matches: I tested the revolvers for suitability for the matches I shoot (which do not include 25 yard bullseye). The results might be of no value to someone who shoots other matches.

I have no idea why, but you seem to have interpreted my response as some sort of attack on you or your Pietta. I sincerely apologize for whatever it was I wrote that caused this.
I don't consider anything you said as a attack. Ì just find it curious why some seem to value a Centaure at double the price of a new CNC Pietta. As have walked the pistol line each year at the Nats observing many High Master and Master class winning shooters field Pietta made guns as well as Uberti. Price is not an object for our match gun choices at that level so if I find a better choice pistol to use in matches I would likely buy it and put it to the test. If my approach seems challenging or rude it's not on you. I understand my opinions are often stated bluntly and can be off putting. Based on your testing I will likely buy a Centaure when found at a fair price...c

In my case it was the novelty of owning a headless Colt, . I bid one up to $600 in a moment of insanity a few years ago. After not winning that one I wound up buy a nicely used 2nd Gen 1851 Navy from a forum member for $100 less. Saw both a unfired 2nd Gen Army and a Navy for sale at the Gettysburg show for $600 each, but no Belgian Colts. YMMV

Interesting discussion.
Here are my 2 €-Cents after having studied the Centaures and their makers since 2007:
To some it is all about emotions, memories of the time when we were younger ...
Because these Belgian made Colt 1960 pattern pistols aka Centaures have a lot of history.
The were among the three first C&B revolvers made by the then new replica industry in 1959, i.e FAUL (Centaure), Gregorelli & Uberti and Witloe.
The history of the Centaures and their makers goes back further, however:
# to a licensing deal with Sam Colt in April 1853 about the making of replications of Colt percussion revolvers,
# to 1796 when the Hanquet family who eventually became FAUL got into gun making.
There is a German cowboy action shooter who particulary likes his brace of Centaures.
With that pair he made it to the top - German Championship in Cowboy Action Shooting - seven times in a row starting in 2012.
That is ca. 40 years after the last Centaures were put together in Belgium.
For further information check the Centaure & FROCS website www.1960nma.
Long Johns Wolf

Last edited:
Back