• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Caywood Smoothie question???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pa woods roamer

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Had a chance today to shoot my Caywood Smoothbore. I was having some ignition trouble and noticed that, this is going to be hard to explain, the Hammer was not going all the way down to where the Flint stopped just above the Pan. It stops about two inches above the Pan. Is this noremal in a Caywood or is there a malfunction occuring??

I have a 12 ga english game gun an so far have never had any problems yet. I looked at mine an though the flint does not go as far down in the pan as say a chambers, I still get lots of sparks in the pan. Are you using the right size flint an is it positioned right

Too short a Flint, story of my Life, might be the problem. I visited Caywoods Website and it said to use 7/8 Flints. I had a 3/4 in it and just now put a 1 incher in. The Pan doesn`t close with the 1 inch but does have a lot better Spark!!Guess I`ll hafta put in an order to TOW....Thanks for the info....
By the way, does your Caywood have a heavy Trigger pull. Mine seems excessivly hard....

wattlebuster said:
Are you using the right size flint an is it positioned right

Would that be bevel up or bevel down? :stir: :stir: Sorry I couldn't help myself :redface: :redface: lol

After the Pa. late Deer season, i`m going to see if a custom gunbuilder, that shoots at our Club,can lesson the pull. As an after thought , I wonder if I would contact Caywood they would help???

Give him a call. The worst he can say is no. It is a real simple job to do anyway since it is just held in with a pin. I built mine as a kit and did my own trigger. Good luck to ya :thumbsup:

Lead Slinger said:
After the Pa. late Deer season, i`m going to see if a custom gunbuilder, that shoots at our Club,can lesson the pull. As an after thought , I wonder if I would contact Caywood they would help???

Danny is not interested in unhappy customers bad mouthing his guns. He will help you. However, in most cases, a hard trigger pull can be corrected with simple measures by anyone with a modicum of handiness. Rather than going to the trouble of shipping back and forth,I suggest you do try to locate the problem and correct yerself.

Certainly not bashing His Guns!! This Fowler is beautiful. As for Me correcting the problem...I would probably mess it up and create more problems.I did get the correct size Flints and it has helped the ignition problem....take care

Latest posts

Back