• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Caywood locks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey I have an opportunity to pick up an unused Caywood lock from a buddy for 110.00. I have been unable to get any pics of the lock and in describing it he said it looks english and has a bow & arrow inscribed. Does anyone have any experience with these types of locks? Not trying to start a flame party if anyone wants they can e-mail me at [email protected] . I was thinking of paring this lock with a 44" 50 cal barrel in a walnut stock to build a fairly plain rifle.

Tommy, I have used only one Caywood lock, a round face. It functions and sparks beautifully. A little tough to get a nice finish on the exterior, but doable. Overall I think its a good lock.
Robby

You have the caywood wilson lock, mine works fine still on my first flint with about 50-60 shots. Its a big lock so plan acordinly.

I don't know how good the Caywood locks are, but I have always looked at things in the long run. Will you be able to get repair parts/springs for it 10 or 15 years down the road?

I would say yes both Mike and Danny have devoteted there lively hood to making guns. They are currently building a new shop to better meet there needs. :thumbsup:

I have one of their locks but as Roby said the exterior is a bit rough but I am satisfied, it works great.
Dusty :wink:

FrankPa said:
I don't know how good the Caywood locks are, but I have always looked at things in the long run. Will you be able to get repair parts/springs for it 10 or 15 years down the road?

I guess all your locks are Silers. :wink: Really, a good gunsmith can fix even an old lock. $110 for that lock is a good deal. Its less than you'll pay for just about any new lock out there right now and at the same time you are not robbing the guy.

Sean

Sean said:
FrankPa said:

I guess all your locks are Silers. :wink: Really, a good gunsmith can fix even an old lock. $110 for that lock is a good deal. Its less than you'll pay for just about any new lock out there right now and at the same time you are not robbing the guy.

Sean

Yes, they all have siler parts, and I still have spare parts in my shop. I don't have the expertise to make repair parts, and a good gunsmith that can is not always easy to find.

I installed a caywood french pistol lock in a french pistol that I build a while ago.
Mr Brooks recommended them to me. That was enough for me.
I have a new french pistol that I am going to build for me..It is going to have the same caywood lock.
They are very nicely made.
You will not be disappointed.
I just called them up about the one I have on order.

thewho66 said:
I would say yes both Mike and Danny have devoteted there lively hood to making guns. They are currently building a new shop to better meet there needs. :thumbsup:

You say "they". Mike 'Kiwi' Rowe and Danny split up several years ago. I do not know where Kiwi went or what locks Danny has been using since.
I can't ask Danny anymore. After almost 40 years of knowing him and his parents we also had a falling out and don't talk anymore.
Do you know if they are working together again?

Back