• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Castoff

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XXX

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I will be building a trade gun from a stock blank where the barrel and ramrod channel have already been let in. I was wondering about the importance of castoff in laying out the barrel centerline on the stock. From what I can tell some guns were built with it and some without, and if it was in use it was generally less than 1/4 of an inch. I am a right handed shooter and I am making this gun for myself. Can anyone speak to the subject with respect to just how common it was and if it really makes any difference either way? Thanks.

Why not make it straight for ease of construction then steam in any cast or toe you want.
It'a actually a hot oil stock bending but often is called steaming a stock.
You can google the process and see a video of it being done.
Actually looks quite simple but have not tried it yet personally but hope to do some experimenting in the future.

XXX,
I am with M.D. about the cast off. The steam process is new to me, but sounds like a backup in the event you choose to do so after trying the gun out. All my rifle muzzleloaders, but one, are straight stocks. The one and only was my first build and it accidentally ended up with CO. Lucky for me it was even in the right direction. :redface: All of my rifles come up well, and to me, can't see any difference.
Flintlocklar :wink:

M.D. said:
Why not make it straight for ease of construction then steam in any cast or toe you want.
It'a actually a hot oil stock bending but often is called steaming a stock.
You can google the process and see a video of it being done.
Actually looks quite simple but have not tried it yet personally but hope to do some experimenting in the future.

Thanks, I will check it out

Larry (Omaha) said:
XXX,
I am with M.D. about the cast off. The steam process is new to me, but sounds like a backup in the event you choose to do so after trying the gun out. All my rifle muzzleloaders, but one, are straight stocks. The one and only was my first build and it accidentally ended up with CO. Lucky for me it was even in the right direction. :redface: All of my rifles come up well, and to me, can't see any difference.

Gunsmith Mark Silver actually brought it up and laid it out in his "Gunstocking" CD. I am inclined to go without any CO unless there is some good reason to go with it. Mark Silver did not elaborate as to what problem, if any, this is supposed to correct. It seems to me that this is very likely to affect the shooting characteristics and I would like to know why I am doing it in the first place. Steaming to correct after the build if required seems reasonable if you have trouble shooting center and moving the sight does not help.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

XXX,
Mark Silver did not elaborate as to what problem, if any, this is supposed to correct.
Our eyes are at right angle to the shoulder, cast off brings the rifle in closer to your eye line.

Cast off or on for left hand shooters allows the gun to be mounted in a more natural way. It's really only used on quality fire arms as the human body can compensate for simple designs. During a build it takes very little effort to add this detail.

Cast off makes the gun point more naturally. 1/4 inch is about normal. When I lay out a stock blank I set up my center lines first all the way around the blank after sawing the blank to profile then I lay out the cast off. Too much cast off can leverage the gun into your cheek under recoil. Some gunstockers only offset the comb of the stock and not the toe. This is done by drawing your cast off on the comb leaving the bottom of the toe on centerline. Hope this helps. BJH

Great responses from everyone. Thanks for taking the time to clear this up for me.

Cast off is very simple to so at lay out...... very difficult to do with hot oil.
I add ¼" to ⅜" of cast on every stock.

On my "skinny" Bucks County LRs, I only have 3/16" of castoff and also angle the toe back to center so the TG lines up.

Castoff serves a purpose of better eye alignment, especially so if the comb is slightly too high.

Funny thing though....have used many styles of shotguns on ruffed grouse and none had any castoff and whether they were a SXS, O/U, pump or auto, they all aligned quickly which is a prerequisite when hunting grouse......Fred

To me, the amount of cast off many people are talking about "3/16" "3/8" '1/4" is so small, that I don't think it's worth the bother. Sure, it might be done on really fine guns, but.... I notice a number of guys here said they couldn't feel much difference with a straight stock. Just my opinion. I will not fool with it on my next build.

i put nearly 5/8 of an inch of cast- off on the stock i scratch built... i could really feel the difference ... next build from a blank i'll do the same ... i have never tried the hot oil deal - -cutting the wood in the first place seems easier to me...

one guys free advice ... free and well worth the cost

Natural stock fit is much more important on a shotgun than on a rifle. Why? Because there is only the front bead, and maybe a rib to "sight" off of. With a rifle, most people can contort themselves somehow to line up the sights. But just because the sights are lined up that doesn't mean the gun fits you the best in that position. Stocks intended for prone shooting are generally configured differently than those intended for shooting in the standing position.

Latest posts

Back