• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Casting RB

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barney

40 Cal.
Reaction score
If I wanted to get started, what would I need? About what would be the total cost? Who has the best prices? What brand equipment would you recommend?

If I sound :confused: it's cause I am.

Thanks

You wanna go real cheap? Use your camp stove, a very small cast iron pot, and Lee round ball moulds. Oh and dont forget a dipper. Lee moulds run about $15-$20, dipper about $10. Ebay can be your friend.

Oh yeah buy some round balls in the calib. of your choice! :rotf:

Actually, the lead is the hard part. Finding pure lead is getting tougher and tougher but it can be done. Scrap yards are the first place I go to.

If you shoot a smoothbore, you don't need pure lead. Dixie Gun Works still sells their molds that are made from antique style hair curling irons. A Coleman stove will melt lead. Do it outside. The Lee molds work very nicely as mentioned.

I just got a Rapine mold and ladle myself. A local plumbing store gave me some used lead. It worked okay, but I wouldn't get the ladle again. I'm thinking I'm going to get one with a longer metal handle before it joins the stick. My green sticks keep burning through before I'm done with my third ball. Otherwise its alot of fun.
Good Luck,
Taylor in Texas

O.K. I got out my camp stove and a small cast iron pot, bought 2 10lb chunks of lead off ebay and ordered a .490 and .530 mould from Cabelas.

Now I've got questions. The lead was sold to me as pure soft lead and I can divot it with my fingernail. It's got a blue color to it, like from heat. Is that what it's from or is it not pure? Also, what's the best way to get it from a 10lb chunk, 2"X12" or so, to a managable size? hacksaw?

Thanks

You can hit it a couple times with a hatchet. It will make a score mark that you can bend it at and the piece will break off. The blue color is from the heat-don't worry about it. I usually only reject the wrinkled ones or ones that don't look formed right. You can also find ingot molds that you can use. Melt the whole bar of lead and pour ingots that will be easier to add to the pot when you ready. Have fun and make sure you have good ventilation. DALE

Another concern is to make sure there is no chance of any moisture falling into the molten lead. One little drop of sweat or dew from an overhanging limb can blow hot lead all over the place including you. Be careful and have fun.
Don

I've seen listings for lead on[url] auctionarms.com[/url] as well. Seemed a little cheaper than e-bay. My source for lead is an indoor shooting range. They sweep up the floors and sell the scrap. Then I melt it down into ingots. The garbage floats to the top to be thrown away.

This becomes an addiction.....I've ended up getting more molds, electric pot, etc. It's nice with four shooters in the house to make your own. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back