• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Casting .310 Round Balls............

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a Lee double cavity .311 mold for my .32 caliber. For some reason one of the holes consistently won't throw complete balls. I've tried everything but it still will have a deformed ball about every 3rd or fourth cast. Weird

I use a Lee double cavity .311 mold for my .32 caliber. For some reason one of the holes consistently won't throw complete balls. I've tried everything but it still will have a deformed ball about every 3rd or fourth cast. Weird
Something to do with your ladle technique? Lead temperature (too cold)? I would tend to think this kind of thing would be “operator” error. You using a ladle or bottom pour pot?

Check the pour hole. Had same problem with a 440. Ran a needle nose plyer down in the hole gently spun it a couple of times and never an issue again. May just be a small burr that catches stuff every once in a while. I am a bottom pour guy now.

Martys Arms .310.PNG

You can churn some out with one of these... I have the .390 for my 40 cal and it works great. Takes a minute to heat it up, but it does well.

Gotta wear gloves, for sure. The handle bolts will wear you out if not.

Marty's Arms out of Minneapolis.

Casting small balls is an exercise in patience. Number 1 buck shot is .30" in diameter and a 5 lb bag will last nearly forever. It just seems to be a more practical use of time to take advantage of balls which just need to have a slightly thicker patch. Of course, they won't work in a .32 caliber revolver.

Once I have a good melt in my 20 lb pot I use two molds of the same or differing sizes, like 32 and 50, or 36 and 54. Once you get going the sprue will not solidify if you have a good rhythm so using two 2 cavity molds works well.

Latest posts

Back