• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Case colored locks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Coffins

69 Cal.
Reaction score
A couple of my shooting buddys are building rifles and asked me to case color harden their locks. This is charcoal case and although they were done together each has its own colors and patterns. One fellow wants his screws cased the other will be nitre blueing his screws.
IMG_0585 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
IMG_0586 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

I have a question for you sir.
do the parts require Brite polishing before the case hardening?
i lied, two questions
do you case harden for those that aren't shooting buddies? how about for internet buddies?
that is beautiful work. one of the multitude of things i always wanted to do and haven't done.

I have a question for you sir.
do the parts require Brite polishing before the case hardening?
i lied, two questions
do you case harden for those that aren't shooting buddies? how about for internet buddies?
that is beautiful work. one of the multitude of things i always wanted to do and haven't done.
These are about 600 grit polish as compared to 320 grit on this Sharps.
I have retired and only on rare occasions do anything for anyone.
IMG_1013 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

Back