• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bacon & Co. pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Coffins

69 Cal.
Reaction score
My friend bought this and I gave it a cleaning and oil. An estimated production of 150 during the 1852-1858 period, this is the large frame in 36 calibre. A double action single shot pocket pistol that is a screw barrel type. Once the barrel is removed a charge of powder is put in the exposed hole and a lead ball placed on that. The barrel is screwed back on then a cap placed on the nipple that has no quarter cock or safety. The barrel is rifled and measured to be closer to 35 calibre so it would be a serious threat at close range. The mechanism is well made, still working after about 180 years. Rather simple but effective. The hammer was color case hardened and there are traces of bluing on the action and barrel. Most everything is stamped with a 52 which by chance is his up coming birthday, his gift to himself!
IMG_0447 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
Neither he or I intend to shoot it but its a dandy old gun to admire.
IMG_0446 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

I have to ask. Is that a double action piece?

Looks like a long pull on the trigger would cause that arm to cause a toggle to raise the hammer and BANG.

I don't see a half cock/full cock system in there.

Thanks.

Very cool pistol. Curious as to why you’re not going to shoot it. Is it because of age or rarity of the piece? I only ask because I really would like an original pistol or rifle that I can shoot. I just don’t know enough about them as to make the call on shooter vs wall hanger?

It is a low production antique. More over if fired it is point and pop type without sights. Then let’s say the nipple cracked, it’s not a standard type that you can buy. To remove the nipple would require making a special tool being made to fit. Also the hammer would need to be removed and that is held in place by a blind pin. The bottom line is it may be easy and harmless for a few shots but if something when wrong it means a unique old gun is broken. I’ve shot a number of old guns but some are just a pleasure to handle.

I recently picked this up. I don't know much about it though
1000011799.jpg

These HAD to work as designed. Simple as possible. These are curiosities to us now, back then they accepted the risk and carried them capped and ready to go.

Thanks for showing that interesting old pistol, @Phil Coffins . We have an old six-barrel pepperbox in the family that has a double-action trigger and a hammer exactly like that one. The only difference is that the barrels, which were made as a unit, rotate when the trigger is pulled. The hammer rises simultaneously and then claps down on a nipple when the top barrel is in line with it. That’s the way I remember it. I haven’t looked at it in quite a while. I suppose the pepperbox might be safer to carry than that single-shot, as one barrel could be left unloaded and uncapped, with the hammer down on the one bare nipple.

However, whoever owned our pepperbox back in the day probably loaded six and either hoped for the best or didn’t worry about it. I was reading an article recently about emigrant deaths on the Oregon-California trail. The number one cause of death and injury was getting run over by wagons. Seriously! Accidental shootings were second. More emigrants shot themselves or each other than Indians ever did. One fellow I read about was leaning over to examine the undercarriage of his wagon, and his pistol fell out of his belt butt first. The pistol’s hammer hit the wagon tongue and the gun fired. The bullet hit the man in the mouth and shattered his jaw. I don’t remember if he died from the wound or not.* You would not believe the number of firearm related injuries that are documented in those old journals.

Anyway, it would not surprise me at all to learn that the original owner of Phil’s pistol carried it in his belt or coat pocket loaded and capped.

Notchy Bob

*EDIT: The man’s name was Jamison, and he survived.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back