• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Carving

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Started out as incised cnc carving.

Attachments

• IMG_3242.jpeg
    IMG_3242.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3228.jpeg
    IMG_3228.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3246.jpeg
    IMG_3246.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3252.jpeg
    IMG_3252.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Come to think about it, this step of using machine cut incisions as starting point, will likely open up relief carving to a lot more people. With laser sharp incisions, relief cuts and cleanup become much simpler. I see this as another big step forward, started by JK and allowing more hobbyists to attempt carving.
Fantastic!

Ahh Ian don’t toss your chisels!
My point, as a hobbyist, the hardest part of carving for me is the initial incisions. My scrolls are wobbly, not smooth, and require lots of cleanup work with riffles, etc. If the most difficult step, incising, is done with such precision and accuracy, the rest is that much easier.

More information, please. Quitcher teasing.
It's an order option for the Woodrunner kit. He relief carved to accent the machine engraving, which is exactly what I and I imagine a great many folks visualized upon first seeing the engraving pattern, especially the wrist area. The engraving is a perfect layout for the carving and takes care of the most difficult part of relief carving.

As we stray a bit from the original posting, two things come to mind:

1. JK is perfectly capable of designing a CNC program to provide the the masses (us) exactly what is pictured on page 1.

2. JK is perfectly capable of doing any of this work by hand as his talents are not just related to making machines work smart. Check out this 2014 article on a very young appearing Jim Kibler:

http://www.americanhistoricservices.com/uploads/1/0/3/4/10348480/hankla_kibler_jf14_reduced.pdf
The article demonstrates his genuine understanding of the long rifle as historical art, as well as his abilities.

Dang, I'm talking like I should join the crowd and buy my first Kibler kit!

Back