• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Carrying Horn and Bag Together?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Isiah1103

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I usually carrying powder horn and possibles bag separately but occasionally I want to put them together and sling only one strap over my shoulder. However, I haven't come up with a good way to easily attach horn to bag so it can be removed to use easily. Any of you folks do that and have suggestions?

both of my bags have horns attached to the straps. I don’t remove them. I have more horns than bags but keeping an eye out for another bag. You can get another horn.

I have three bags and two of them have the horns attached. I find it very convenient just having to grab only one strap.
Here are my two.

In our dense brush I strongly dislike danglies on my bags. They hang up on everything.

As a result I've taken to carrying a "day horn" inside my bag. It's only about the size of half a banana and 2" across the butt, but it carries more powder than I've ever used in a busy day of poking 30 grain charges at snowshoe hares. It holds about 4 oz, which is enough for around 50 of those charges, 25 of 60 grains or 15 or so in the 90 grain range. How much more can a hunter possibly need?

My bags all have horns attached. Started doing that by late 70s. I find a loose horn by its self a pain. Inthe woods I can put my belt over the bag straps. The bag stays at my side. As I move the horn never migrates in to my front.

I have a suggestion....carry a small flask inside your bag and leave the horn home.

After monkeying around trying to have the horn attached (which never worked well, it was forever getting tangled) I decided on a flask and couldn't be happier.
Otherwise I carry the horn separate.

We read in old writings a lot of men cut off from a group, having a full horn but only five ball or so in their bag. CC has a point, ten big charges is only a few ounces and can fit in a bag.

Back in the "day".. their horns were there powder cans..I don't go hunting with a can of powder.. A
small flask has always sufficed.
I like to be as traditional as I can, but I also like to enjoy myself.
I suspect once you get past certain eras and the romance, many did the same.

Right handed, I carry the two separately. The bag is on my right, the horn strap crosses over and goes on my left, away from the flash. While hunting, both of these are under my outer most layer of clothing. No snags, no shifting.
Just the way it has evolved for me. :2

Colorado Clyde said:
Back in the "day".. their horns were there powder cans..I don't go hunting with a can of powder.. A
small flask has always sufficed.
I like to be as traditional as I can, but I also like to enjoy myself.
I suspect once you get past certain eras and the romance, many did the same.

When did the first cans come out? I thought the powder was sold in kegs?

I've tried it on my bag. I don't like it.

Maybe I've gotten used to stuff being behind my elbow unless I'm using it. If I'm in damp weather, I find it much easier to move the horn alone with it's much thinner strap and less friction, forward to change the prime in the lock than moving the entire bag with the horn.

I like the bag to ride just behind my right elbow, and my horn further back than that. There have been times with my bag when I've bent over; it has slopped forward to my front. If I'm near a fire the horn is doing that too. I'd much rather the horn be behind me, if not away from me, if I bring the bag forward to fish out a tool to use on my lock as I tend the lock by firelight. :wink:

Sure I could untie the horn, place it someplace, then do the work, then retrieve the horn, and retie it....maybe it's on the ground and maybe somebody steps on it...., seems a lot more complicated than simply moving the horn backwards or hanging it on something away from me, and when done no need to adjust it, or simply grab the strap and sling it back over my shoulder.

I'm also interested in know what they lugged about in the period from the F&I to the AWI. So that's a big horn on a single strap. OH and sometimes I'm the guy packing in and out the garrison horn, which is like 5 lbs. of powder. (best not be close to me if it starts to lightning and thunder.)

LD

I wasn’t clear, easy to be unclear in a short post. I met a small flask with just a few oz will easily fit in a bag. I didn’t mean to stick a can of powder in a bag.
Just a little 2 oz flask has almost nine hundred grains in it some where between six and ten or more shots.
However without the romance a ml is just a smelly dirty slow to fire heavy smoke pole.

I think it'd be interesting to see a thread on bag and horn combinations for all the guys and gals around here.

tenngun said:
I wasn’t clear, easy to be unclear in a short post. I met a small flask with just a few oz will easily fit in a bag. I didn’t mean to stick a can of powder in a bag.
Just a little 2 oz flask has almost nine hundred grains in it some where between six and ten or more shots.
However without the romance a ml is just a smelly dirty slow to fire heavy smoke pole.

We're on the same page.... :thumbsup:

Lewis and Clark used lead cans. The tin can was invented around 1810...I've seen powder cans that were supposedly made around 1830, but I don't have anything definitive.

I do wonder though how it was sold....Was it sold strictly by the pound/can or would merchants top off a person's horn and charge him accordingly?

The two horns I use carry only 3oz and 4oz respectively. Fessing up, here, I'll say I normally carry premeasured charges for deer hunting and carry the bag/horn just sometimes. For small game I will often carry the bag & horn since I never know how much shooting will be required.

Here's a bag I put together a few years back.

It's the only bag I own that has the horn attached.

This small bag will be used with my .32 flintloock
when it's completed.

That's an I 6+ phone for size reference.

IMG_0454.jpg

Back