• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Carry The Wind

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkM

Pilgrim
Reaction score
What do you guys think of the "Carry The Wind" books by Terry C Jonston? I love the charater Titus S Bass or "Scratch" as he is known. I have read all of the series and like the orininal three the best, Carry The Wind, Borderlords, and One Eyed Dream. I felt sad after reading the last one then hearing that Terry C Jonston died himself not too long after he finished it.

Mark

I read Dance on the Wind a few years ago, thought it was probably more historically accurate than most folks would have liked...lol...but I like that kind of thing. Sad that Terry died, yes, it's a great loss.

Stumblin

Carry The wind was the first book of Terry's I read. I now have the entire Titus Bass series, as wellas the plainsman series.and the Son of the plainsseries. His insights into Mountain man life andthe war on the plains are are so well written. Terry passed shortly after writeing Death Rattle. In a way he and Titus went out together. To me it was a sad day for western history. He will be missed. I encourage you to read all of his books. You can smell the dust hear the war cries. and smellthe black powder smoke.Mark Wyoming territory

I've read all of Terry Johnson's books. Scratch was quite a character. The way Terry wrote his books makes you feel like you're right there with them. :redthumb:

I had the opportunity to meet Terry Johnston (under slightly embarrassing conditions) a few years back when he was guest speaker for the KMA convention. He mentioned then that when Scratch died he prob'ly wouldn't be too far behind, himself. Entirely too prophetic words!

Wonderful man, amazing storytelling abilities... Much too soon he left this world behind...

...The Kansan...

I too have the complete series. I hadn't heard that Terry had gone under till now. Sad to hear. :sorry:

Used to rondy with Terry back in the 70's around Wyoming and Montana. He always tried to make our club's (Yellowstone Mountain Men) Memorial day rondy in Cody.

Mark: FireMaker and I have read Carry the Wind, Borderlords and One-Eyed Dream by Terry Johnston. We enjoyed all three immensely! There was a book I checked out from the library (don't remember the name) that predated the story line in Carry the Wind -- Titus' life before Carry the Wind. I didn't get it read though. :m2c:

Have a good week!

StrongWoman

He also wrote one titled Death Rattle that carries Titus south to Taos at the end of the fur trade. A decent book, but I thought Ol Scratch came off as a little weak in it. When did Terry die and of what? Again, his wonderful way of spinnin' a yarn will be greatly missed.

I'm thinkin' that it could have been "Buffalo Palace" or somethin' like that. It' about Titas leavin' St.Lou and headin' for the Rockies to be a trapper and all the things that happens during his early trappin' years. Good readin' books, Terry could write like it was real.

Flatlander

He wrote a two or three stories that were Prequels to Carry the Wind. I believe Buffalo Palace was the first, I don't recall the other title(s). I think One Eyed Dream was the book about going to Taos. Titus' going blind was part of the story line, hence the title. I don't have any of those books anymore to check, so I am relying on memory.

Cry Of The Hawk
Winter Rain
Dream Catcher

Carry The Wind
Border Lords
One-Eye Dream

Dance On The Wind
Buffalo Palace
Crack In The Sky
Ride The Moon Down
Death Rattle

The Sons Of The Plains and The Plainsmen Novels

All excellent reading :imo:

I've got a first edition of "Carry the Wind". It's one to hold onto.

I met him at a rendezvous in Custer SD many years ago. I had just won a primative match shooting at charcoal brickettes. Myself and one other fella were were backed up to 60-70 yds and hitting rather regularly. I got lucky when he missed. I was shooting very good that day.

Anyway when I was walking back a guy in a cowboy hat asked me about the rifle and how things were going. We had about a five minute conversation and then I went back to the lodge. A couple of years later I bought one of the plainsman series with the author's picture on the back. I was the fellow I talked to at Custer. Bit of a suprise.

I had been haunting the bookstores waiting the the third volume in his Nez Pierce series when I heard that he died of Colon cancer. A sadening loss.

Latest posts

Back