• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Revisiting our friend Titus Bass

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I read the Carry The Wind series years ago and really enjoyed it. Lately its been calling to me so I've been revisiting the world of Titus Bass. The first time I read it in the order the books were released (original trilogy, then the prequels followed by the sequels). This time I'm reading it in chronological order. I finished Dance on the Wind and Buffalo Palace quickly and just started Crack in the Sky.

I'm surprised how much I had forgotten about this series. Outside of major events its like I'm reading it for the first time. I'm enjoying reading them in chronological also. It gives it a little different feel.

I think I realize and appreciate more this time how much research Terry C Johnston did. Also the fact that he didn't create a bigger than life hero in Titus. His simple choices, avoiding cliches that often take place in novels on the fur trade era also add to the appeal. One example is Titus going west with a Deringer rifle instead of Hawken which many writers choose.

I'm sure most here have read the series. If you haven't I obviously highly recommend it. I've read a lot of novels on the fur trade era and this is my favorite.

Yes, I ordered the 3 you mentioned but I see he wrote several more.

There are nine books total in the series. Here they are in order of release.

Original Trilogy:
Carry the Wind - 1982
Borderlords - 1986
One-Eyed Dream - 1988

Prequels:
Dance on the Wind - 1995
Buffalo Palace - 1996
Crack In The Sky - 1997

Sequels:
Ride the Moon Down - 1998
Death Rattle - 1999
Wind Walker - 2001

The series follow Titus Bass' life. The first time through I read them in the order they were released. This time I'm reading them in chronological order. You really can't go wrong either way.

I love the entire collection, and have them all. I have however, found some inconsistencies from novel to novel. The first one that comes to my mind right off is in "Borderlords", Titus loses his Derringer rifle in a snow filled ravine, and in the next book he has it again. Maybe he bought another. There are other inconsistencies, but They are really insignificant.

Pab, haven't heard of them and now I must read them😉, would you list them in chronological order please

This is the chronological order of the series.

Prequels:
Dance on the Wind - 1995
Buffalo Palace - 1996
Crack In The Sky - 1997

Original Trilogy:
Carry the Wind - 1982
Borderlords - 1986
One-Eyed Dream - 1988

Sequels:
Ride the Moon Down - 1998
Death Rattle - 1999
Wind Walker - 2001

I love the entire collection, and have them all. I have however, found some inconsistencies from novel to novel. The first one that comes to my mind right off is in "Borderlords", Titus loses his Derringer rifle in a snow filled ravine, and in the next book he has it again. Maybe he bought another. There are other inconsistencies, but They are really insignificant.

I remember him losing a gun but I don't remember that it was his Deringer. IIRC he had a few guns with him when that happened. Its been a while since I read the series though. I'll know for sure when I get to it the second time around. :thumb:

“Carry the Wind” made it here so far. It’s an old hardcover, but in decent shape. Will suite me fine, I’ll start on it soon.

Attachments

• 642A437B-3D78-4558-9C72-C209A669E2ED.jpeg
    642A437B-3D78-4558-9C72-C209A669E2ED.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
I read all these books in the order they were written many years ago , then in chronological order a few years later , I prefer the chronological order . I really enjoyed the whole series . I don't think it is fair to those who are just getting into this adventure to discuss things that happened .

I read all these books in the order they were written many years ago , then in chronological order a few years later , I prefer the chronological order . I really enjoyed the whole series . I don't think it is fair to those who are just getting into this adventure to discuss things that happened .
Yep, that can be a spoiler.

There really haven't been any spoilers mentioned.

Latest posts

Back