• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Carolina Style smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You won’t go wrong with @Rob M. He posts on here frequently and he has a large following. I would not hesitate to order a Carolina gun from Rob. He knows his stuff!

However, if you want to cast a wider net, check out Mike Brooks Flintlocks. You can find his website easily with a quick Google search. He is a master builder. Mr. Brooks is also a member of this forum.

Also look at the Wilson Trade Gun by Caywood Gunmakers. This is a high-grade Carolina gun, a “Type G,” with a cast “serpent” rather than the heavy sheet brass sideplate. I have a Northwest gun from Caywood, and it is first rate. He uses his own proprietary locks, which are very authentic and of excellent quality. Some custom builders (like Don Bruton) use Caywood locks.

I don’t think you’ll go wrong with any of these three.

Notchy Bob

You rang ?! LOL !! :D Lots of pics on F@ceb00k page Miller Muzzleloaders too ....

Attachments

• IMG_20221217_144835.jpg
    IMG_20221217_144835.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221217_104158.jpg
    IMG_20221217_104158.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230509_183338.jpg
    IMG_20230509_183338.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221217_144815.jpg
    IMG_20221217_144815.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
For them who might be interested, Lee Burke wrote the definitive monograph on Carolina guns in the American Society of Arms Collectors Bulletin 65: 2-16: "18th Century English Trade Guns in the South, or the Carolina Gun..."

Regarding Mr. Brooks, there are some nice photos and a succinct description of one of his Carolina guns on the Contemporary Makers Blogspot: Mike Brooks Carolina Gun

Notchy Bob
That was/is a great gun. I actually managed to keep hold of it for a couple years. Shot a couple deer with it. That was way back when I could still find beech, I really like those guns in beech. It was supposed to have a 48" barrel but Bob Hoyt goofed and made it 42 5/8" and sold it to me for $100.

Clay Smith makes a nice gun.
His Basic Carolina is a great gun but it’s a little too fat.
This is mainly due to the more common 42” Barrel profile.
His “ Bumford” is much more “PC” trade gun.
Mike Brooks has been mentioned and his Carolinas are great.
Jack Brooks also made Carolinas

Carolinas are loooong slim and light. I do believe most were around 24 bore.

For period images one is depicted in the “Death of Wolf” painting.
That’s the basis of Clay Smith’s red painted sun rise decorated Carolina.

Carolinas......
My personal opinion is they are the funnest gun from that period.
Some were found on Blackbeard’s Queen Anne’s Revenge.
Pirates
Patriots
Indians
Boy’s militia
Blue guns
Red guns
Yellow spotted guns
Vines paired on
Sunbursts
Preferred by the Indians over the French junk....

They are just freakin awesome.

Latest posts

Back