• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Carbines

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I’m still new here, initially I had also wanted a Colonial era carbine and was also under the (false) impression that F&I and AWI carbines would have much shorter barrels, as is true of more modern carbines.

Turns out that, generally speaking, a short barreled military issue carbine from the period has a barrel length of 30” or more: very different than our military’s current standard issue carbine (14.5”!).

With that said, as noted above there are still some very cool shorter-length 18th Century military muskets! The British issued several, including the Elliott carbine and the Royal Forester carbine. The French issued a model 1733 carbine, a 1766 musketoon (the French seemed to call their carbines musketoons), a model 1767-70 Hussar musketoon and the model 1777 musketoon (which many folks say came too late for AWI use?)…

The next challenge is that there are relatively few reproductions of these shorter muskets on the market: your choices are usually a kit from someplace like The Rifle Shoppe, a full custom build, or an Indian-made gun. The other option for some is the Pedersoli Brown Bess carbine, but there seems to be a question as to whether that was “a real thing” during the period…

Hope that helps.

Hi,
Carbines were used on both sides but they differ somewhat from the concept of carbines employed during the American Civil War. The term applied more to bore size than barrel length. For example, in British service, carbine meant a gun of carbine bore (0.66" caliber) that fired carbine ammunition (0.615"). Barrel length might vary from 28" to 42". Carbines were always lighter and handier but they were not all short barreled. Barrel length depended more on the intended user of the carbine. Light infantry and dragoons (who fought on foot but used horses for mobility) often had longer (42") barreled carbines, while cavalry (who fought on horse back) had short barreled guns. Dragoon carbines became shorter as the role of the dragoons changed from being mounted infantry to acting as cavalry. Artillerymen and sergeants were often issued carbines with 36-39" barrels depending on the pattern. Americans also use carbines for similar applications. Rifles issued by the British (pattern 1776 muzzleloading rifle and Ferguson rifle) were alos of carbine bore and had shorter barrels.

dave
Not to jack the thread with another question, but how did they carry these carbines on horseback? Was it a saddle ring type thing or a shoulder strap? I have always wondered. Especially dragoons.

Yes, James Fennimore Cooper gave Hawkeye the name La Longue Carabine as used by the French. This was written about 100 years after most of the incidents of the F&I war were over. His rifle was of smaller caliber than the military calibers and I think Cooper may have felt it added some interest to the character. Cooper should not be thought of as any sort of authority for authenticity.

Not to jack the thread with another question, but how did they carry these carbines on horseback? Was it a saddle ring type thing or a shoulder strap? I have always wondered. Especially dragoons.
I found a page with period paintings illustrating the little carbine championed by the Cavalry officer Lord Henry Paget. It had a curved bar for the sliding ring used to carry on horseback. (illustrated herewith) Paget Cavalry Carbine

Latest posts

Back