• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Caps for H&A underhammer?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Do these nipples take a #10 cap? I was shooting a friend's loaner the other day and I had to seriously pinch my #11 caps to stay on the nipple.

I am told that the nipple is also a 32 thread and is somewhat "shortened" on the threaded end so that it doesn't project up too far into the barrel. Comments??

That's a tough question, I don't have any underhammers with H&A barrels. I make up my own barrels and use standard 1/4"X 28 nipples. If a #10 will go on and stay on then use it.

I was just checking my U/H the other day. It's a H/A Target model. I remember having to squeeze the #11 to keep them on several years ago. I got a new nipple from Nurmerick Arms when they still had them and found it a little long so had not used it. Yesterday I shortened it so the hammer would strike properly and it appears the nipples are for #10 caps.
As far as threads being shorten mine is a .45 with a 1" round barrel and the threads look about as long as my other caplocks. I plan on getting some #10 this weekend and try them out. Don't really see why the threads would be short they can be as long and the side of the barrel is from flats to bore.
Fox :thumbsup:

Both my barrels are using #11. I had tried to put on Musket caps to see how it would do. I like the #11 better. Not sure why your having to pinch them.

Not sure why your having to pinch them ...
'Cuz it's like putting a size 34D tit into a size 38D bra ... either one is too big or the other is too small :rotf: !

But seriously, you "tip" the rifle back over to shoot and the caps just fall off the nipple ...

No idea what the original nipple was but those rifles were discontinued so long ago that very few would still be wearing the original nipple any how. If #11's fall off then by all means try #10's.
The original H&A's did use a 1/4x32 nipple thread. I think the Deer Creek H&A wanabees may use 1/4x28.

the nipples take #11 caps. the factory nipple on a h&a is 1/4-32. aftermarket barrels usually take 1/4-28. my heritage model has a spacer under the nipple so the threads do not extend too far into the bore. without a spacer the nipple will be struck by a cleaning jag. my target .45 does not have the spacer. underhammers forever! WK1

:grin: When I find a nipple that will not readily accept a #11---it remove the nipple and chuck it into my Unimat and with a miniature needle file I carefully "adjust " the diameter until the nipple fits without the need to "force" (NO-NO) the cap on. :v :hatsoff:

its not that the caps won't go on, its that they won't stay on. i do have to pinch #11 slightly to make them stay on. if you need to know the thickness of the spacer let me know and i'll pull and measure it. WK1

The 1980 Dixie Catalog says the Hopkins and Allen Rifles use a .245-32 threaded nipple. (the first number is the diameter of the male thread, the second number is the number of threads per inch).
This would make a .250-32 nipple a very tight fit, but in an older gun which had the nipple removed a lot, it would probably work.

One nipple that will not work at all is the standard .250-28. It's the right diameter but the thread pitch will end up stripping the threads out of the barrel.

The 32 pitch thread for a .250 diameter screw is a bastard thread. It is not standard and Dixie no longer shows any nipples available in this size.

Some of these H&A guns seem to be somewhat bastardized in another way.
Not only is the nipple made in a totally non standard thread size, but the ".36 caliber" is actually a .347. Dixie recommended a .340 dia ball for it.

they also recommend a .433 ball for their 45. i use a .440 or .445 ball with 1 hole results. i did buy a buggy rifle that had a 1/4-28 nipple stripped into place.

Walruskid,.....I am curious about your spacer. does it just rest beneath the nipple, or is it welded? my original nipple stripped and blew out last year and now i use a 1/4x28 .10 oversize that does protrude into the barrel. it does shoot fine but i do remove the nipple to clean. just curios thanks.

Ya I rethraded mine for those works great. Havent a clue what size his could be, all the DC made ones use the 11 just fine. Fred :hatsoff:

.250x32 nipples are available through The Possibles Shop. The flats where the wrench fits are 4 sided instead of 6. Different lengths are available accordin' to the catalog. :hatsoff:

Zonie said:
The 32 pitch thread for a .250 diameter screw is a bastard thread. It is not standard and Dixie no longer shows any nipples available in this size.
FWIW, Bob @ Thunder Ridge Muzzloadig sells the 1/4-32tpi niples for the Hopkins & Allen underhammers.

Regarding spacers so that the nipple threads don't protrude into the barrel (hence blocking the cleaning jag), on the u/h I was using, there was a brass flashguard held in place by the nipple. I am told this is employed to prevent sparks/cap shards from hitting your hand on the forend.

ZREX - it looks like a surface ground flat washer or ring. its not welded to the barrel. for what its worth, the books i have list nipple size as 1/4-32. log cabin has the ampco nipples that fit. i also have the brass flashcup on my heritage. you definately know when the nipple gets burned out, i wear a longsleeve shirt when shooting underhammers. WK1

fw said:
Ya I rethraded mine for those works great. Havent a clue what size his could be, all the DC made ones use the 11 just fine. Fred :hatsoff:
Not sure I understand ya there FW. If you are saying you rethreaded 1/4x32 to 1/4x28 or viseversa, that would be dangerous. Since the hole is already 1/4" there is no metal to take new threads, you'd just be mangling the existing thread, rather like cross threading and you may blow a nipple. :shake:

On my 48" the nip was rusted in and a 1/4 28 wouldnt go till I ran a thread thru . Its shot 200 plus RBs 60 to 100 grs no problem. I do have the next size nip up from Dixie when I can get around to it, a lot of little things are different on the 48". Wal you mean a spacer or the brass ring in the barrel? Fred :hatsoff: with 1 1/8 barrel I sure didnt need more room myself.

I shoot a number of underhammers and all of them have 1/4 X 28 #11 nipples. I am not using H & A barrels so threading them was no problem. If you are using a H & A barrel you can go to an oversized 1/4 X 28 #11 and should have no problem tapping the barrel. Also, there are underhammer nipples made in varying thread lengths so as not to enter the bore but come up flush with the bore and direct the nipple flame directly into the powder charge. These will hold your #11 caps and give good fast ignition. I think I got them from TOW. :hmm:

fred - its a spacer made of steel under the nipple. i comes out with the nipple. its basically a washer. WK1

Latest posts

Back