• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Capper?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brik847

40 Cal.
Reaction score
What's a good capper for an 1858 Pietta? The one for my rifle is too big. I have a bunch of #10 caps.

We're both out of luck. I've never found a capper that worked with the 58. Great for Colts, but Remington's are out of luck.

On a positive note, the nipple is angled out a bit and is easier to cap without a capper than a Colt.

I've had good luck with the Ted Cash snail shaped capper, also called the "tear drop" capper. It takes a little 'spearmintin' to develope a workable technique.

I'm all thumbs when it comes to using a capper, I've tried both types, If anyone has any insight I'd love to hear it.

The TC Star Capper will fit but stills requires using
your fingers to load it with the caps one at a time.

P1050567a38.jpg

P1050568a38.jpg

Found one at Gander for $10 - Traditions straight line capper for #10 and #11 - works great - holds 15 or so caps.

That's the one I use as well, it works fine for me, but I wish there was one that held a few more caps!
I tried a different one that is longer, but it won't feed for me so I gave it to a friend who shots rifle as he can use it better than I can as it has 2 springs not one like the traditions has.

CoyoteJoe said:
I think GAK means it looks like an accessory for a Barbie Doll. :haha:
:rotf: When I looked at the picture I used something a little stronger that GAK.
PINK plastic ?

I shoot several 1858 Remington replicas (Uberti, EuroArms, & Pietta) and dearly love them all, but capping is a real problem.

NMLRA pistol matches don't allow capping until on the firing line. The Cash snail version doesn't work on my pistols as the jaws are too big to fit the nipple recess, but the older Cash straight line with two jaw springs works OK, although a bit technique sensitive. The newer straight line cappers use one jaw spring and extend the other side of the capper ... I found filling away some of the solid brass "other" jaw, it can be made to fit.

If you're just shooting for fun, try capping the cylinder out of the frame. Its easier to handle and re-installs quickly. But you must be very careful handling the capped cylinder as you now have a 5 or 6 shot short barreled pistol. DON"T DROP IT!

Capping on the firing line with a tin of caps in one hand, and the pistol in the other is another choice. For me, about 50% of the caps get fumbled off and onto the ground. You need a brain surgeon's dexterity for this trick.

I also cap the cylinder when it is out of the revolver , its just a heck of alot simpler to do.
As you ponted out though, you have made a miniture firearm doing this. :thumbsup:
nilo52

One thing for sure, if you drop it in the high grass or leaves , no problem finding it . :thumbsup: :rotf:

Latest posts

Back