• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Capper for revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cappers aren't manufactured according to cap size, ie. all cappers on the market I've ever seen will fit all. Unless you are shooting a Remington model or a Ruger Old Army get a brass Ted Cash Snail Capper. Well worth the approx $25 cost. They'll hold according to manufacturer 100 caps. They're fast, work well, and well made. When I started out back in the 70's the only thing available was the straight line capper. They worked, but unless you had a number of them you had to take time and reload alot. The snail capper works well with all Colts but if shooting a Remington or Ruger you must use an inline unless you modify the cylinder area around the nipples to use a snail capper. The inline cappers will work but once in awhile a cap will get turned sideways making things a PITA. Cash also makes an inline, I have four of them for use with Remington and Ruger. There are some cheap inline cappers available that look poorly made, can't say I'm impressed with the plastic ones Wiscoaster mentioned. I have been thinking about getting another Ted Cash snail capper and the cheapest I've seen them are at Jebidiah Smith Muzzleloading and Track of the Wolf. Think I paid around $10 back in the 90's for the one I now have. As I mentioned, if yer shooting a Colt, go with the price of a Ted Cash Snail Capper, you will forever be pleased and glad you did. If you go with an inline style, if possible get at least two, maybe three or four so as to have cappers preloaded. Otherwise whatever shooting conditions you're in (range or field) you'll be constantly having to take the time to reload and it's not a real fast process.

I also like the ted cash capper.
But I did solder a small piece of brass as a backing support for pushing the cap on tight.

Ted Cash.JPG

Everything Crow said. Traditions in line are junk, i got 3 sitting in a box useless.
I use 3 Ted Cash, but as said i have to reload them from the tin a couple times when at the range. I may have to try their snail capper.
Edit: my ted cash work fine with all caps, both Rem, CCI 11, RWS.

Last edited:
I like the TC snail capper. The straight capper I have (it says it's for #11 caps) I use on my shotgun, but I seem to lose caps with it.
I've been meaning to try out the plastic star cappers I bought from Guns of the West, but haven't gotten around to it yet. They are supposed to work with 10's or 11's.

Thumb and index fingers, sadly!! Most pistols don’t have enough clearance to use a capper efficiently. The Remingtons can be modified a bit with a dremel tool to open up the recesses on the cylinder enough to use the Ted Cash snail capper, it doesn’t work on the ROA and I won’t file anything on them anyways. CVA used to sell very soft rubber star shaped cappers that tore off once you capped but I haven’t seen them in a while. They were disposable if you will, worked great. Like others stated most straight capper are junk, by the time you fill them might as well cap by hand. Just be mindful of the dreaded thumb-evaporizing cap!!

Thumb and index fingers, sadly!! Most pistols don’t have enough clearance to use a capper efficiently.

You must have never used a snail capper. All my Colts cap fast and effectually with a Cash snail capper. Thumb and finger? I did that back in 1972 for about a year until I bought a straight line capper. Thumb and finger capping works, PITA though, maybe ifin yer only going to shoot 2-3 cylinder fulls of rounds.

I thought it was a pain back when I was 22 yrs old trying to cap my first cap n ball revolver, getting them out of the tin, trying to get them situated right between finger and thumb, trying to seat a tiny metal object onto another small metal object (nipple) situated between two metal protrusions on the cylinder. Recall spilling a tin full of caps at times and having to gather as many as possible, not to waste them (and that was when they were $1 for a tin of 100). No thank you!!!!! 😫😬

Everything Crow said. Traditions in line are junk, i got 3 sitting in a box useless.
I use 3 Ted Cash, but as said i have to reload them from the tin a couple times when at the range. I may have to try their snail capper.
Edit: my ted cash work fine with all caps, both Rem, CCI 11, RWS.
The Ted Cash snail is the way to go unless you shoot the Remington.
then
"son you are on your own"
a great line from Blazing Saddles
Bunk

Snail capper is what most use. I tired an inline capper. Going to give it away to a new revolver user.

I got there, and they are the bee's knees.

I have on in the pistil bag loaded to see how much tossing around it can take, the other is loaded and in my pocket when Im shooting.

I thought it was a pain back when I was 22 yrs old trying to cap my first cap n ball revolver, getting them out of the tin, trying to get them situated right between finger and thumb, trying to seat a tiny metal object onto another small metal object (nipple) situated between two metal protrusions on the cylinder. Recall spilling a tin full of caps at times and having to gather as many as possible, not to waste them (and that was when they were $1 for a tin of 100). No thank you!!!!! 😫😬
Nowadays, it's like dropping a dime (or more) on the ground; you probably will pick it up!

Well the Polish cappers do work, but "pricey" are they so I can't and won't buy one just to see how they do work as my Cash works great. Also the Polish IMO is a bit clumsy looking, I like the streamline looks of the snail capper so there's reason number two. The Star cappers appear to work but I can load 100 in my Cash Snail and do 'alot' of shooting for the day. Plan on 'one of these days' to ream the rear of my Remington's so as to use the Cash Snail but until then will have to use a straight-line. My ROA will just have to be a straight-liner capper, although depending on the price that 12 round star might be in the works but not getting into a lather to get some.

Polish Capper (3 types).
Pricey but I think I will get one:

I purchased the brass Polish capper direct from the maker three years ago.
It's the best capper bar-none,, it's sturdy narrower feed lip works perfect with all of my Colt & Remington revolvers & my rifles.

Latest posts

Back