• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cap Debris In My Wrist

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had occasion to shoot one of my 13 gauge doubles today and the left hammer upon firing would shower my wrist with cap fragments, drawing tiny droplets of blood. Still stung even with my sleeves down.

Any ideas as to why this is happening?

On the other hand, the Pietta double did no such thing and was a real joy to shoot today.

My guess is your nipple is burned out and the enlarged hole is allowing enough blow-back to lift the hammer and blow cap fragments around.

I'll second that without looking at it... :thumbsup: ...

Sometimes the brand of caps or the hammer shape/ design / strike can cause the same problem... Back when I shot competition I was always bleeding....
Welcome to muzzleloading... :grin:

Thank you gentlemen! Well, the cones are new from Track of the Wolf, that hammer is very easy to pull back and set compared to any of the others. I reckon I'll try to stiffen the swing so the hammer doesn't bounce back letting debris fly. I think I can do that just by tightening the bridle screws at first.

Take it easy on those screws. It doesn't take much and the little head will pop right off. :wink:Or you could put a flash guard on as well. That would solve the issue . I put one on my Wives underhammer to direct any fragments forward. :thumbsup:

This is something a lot of lefties who shoot right handed guns encounter. Why I always wear long sleeves when shooting a cap gun. There's always a few sparks that will fly downward and hit your wrist.

swathdiver said:
I had occasion to shoot one of my 13 gauge doubles today and the left hammer upon firing would shower my wrist with cap fragments, drawing tiny droplets of blood. Still stung even with my sleeves down.

Any ideas as to why this is happening?

On the other hand, the Pietta double did no such thing and was a real joy to shoot today.
The trouble is your hammer nose it is burnt away inside and also the skirt also the nipple has a large vent hole ,If the nipple is ok then it is the hammer nose another thing if the gun is an original with the original nipple then they were designed for the long skirt caps such has Joyce caps
Feltwad

swathdiver said:
Thank you gentlemen! Well, the cones are new from Track of the Wolf, that hammer is very easy to pull back and set compared to any of the others. I reckon I'll try to stiffen the swing so the hammer doesn't bounce back letting debris fly. I think I can do that just by tightening the bridle screws at first.
I would venture a guess - if the hammer is too easy to cock then your mainspring is tired - have it replaced this should solve your issues :v .

I have never been sprayed by a flintlock but have with percussions. The worst offender was my underhammer and I always had to either wear a thick shirt or put something over my arm. I once put a towel over my arm - it was summer - and the towel caught fire!

azmntman said:
Feltwad mentoned long skirt caps. I wanna know whats the SHORTEST skirt cap? :eek:ff
Joyce caps came in all sizes and made for different bore sizes for a standard 12 gauge it was No 22 which today is a NO 11.
Has for the shortest skirt cap these were a Italian No 11 which were a modern cap and made of brass .These caps were prone for spitting they also needed a very strong mainspring to detonate them and they were also dangerous if the mainspring was weak and did not detonate the cap and left the fultimate on the nipple nose, removing it was a hazard I once saw a gun go off when the shooter tried to remove it by using his finger nail
Feltwad

On every SxS I have shot (both reproductions and orginals) the left barrel spits bits of cap powder and sometimes pieces of cap onto my left wrist/fore arm. The fences deflect such matter forward, so it is only the forward wrist that gets sprayed and only when the left barrel is fired (for right handers). I wear a glove on my left hand and a long sleeve, or an athletic arm sleeve when shooting clay targets.

I have this same problem every time I shoot one of my military rifles using the musket caps. I have tried to find a nipple cup, or what ever it is called but they don't make one for musket nipples, might have to try and make my own, or wear gloves and long sleeve shirts....stupid caps anyway.

I'm a leftie, never had a problem until i started shooting muskets... them dang musket caps HURT my right forearm. Told my old friend Ken, he said get a worn knee hi sock, cut the toe off, use it.
He uses them for 4H kids shooting doubles. It works great.

I recall a old issue of Muzzle Blasts told of deepening the hammer, angling the V in the front, checking main spring to prevent blood loss.
Might give it a try.

Shoot an under hammer off a bench rest. Arm gets it face gets it. You name it bouncing off the bench top gets it.

Back