• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can't see my dang sights now

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fw707

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Well,
I had cataract surgery on both eyes the last couple of months. My dang distance vision is excellent after the surgeries, but now I can't see the dang back sights on my rifles!

Any of y'all had to deal with that?

Yup.

Go to your local drug store and buy yourself some low power reading glasses.

The high scoring marksmen use their front sights as the focus point so select the lowest power glasses that will make things at that distance look clear and sharp.

The low power glasses have less bluring at a distance than the higher numbered glasses so if you find something like a 1 or 1+ and that makes something about 3 1/2 feet away look sharp, buy them.

I've found prices ranging from $1.00 to $20.

I also recommend buying the largest lens you can find. We shooters tend to aim a rifle while looking a little sideways and the large lens will help. :)

By the way, ain't modern medicine amazing?
Without the cataract surgery I had, I'd be totally blind by now.

That really doesn't work well, with a straight magnification at the eye lens you can certainly see the sights better, but anything past 20yrds is blurry.

I wear prescription glasses and my Optometrist is a shooter too. I told him the rear sight is getting tuff to see and he suggested a .25 magnification as "shooting glasses" so what the heck I tried it. That's my normal scrip with 1/4 magnification across the lense.
Well it works fine for pistol shooting with big bulls eye pistol targets around 15-20yrds. the the same glasses with the rifle and novelty targets at 50 and beyond get really out of focus.

p.s. I have a cataract starting in my right eye, I don't notice it yet but the Doc can see it.

necchi said:
I wear prescription glasses and my Optometrist is a shooter too. I told him the rear sight is getting tuff to see and he suggested a .25 magnification as "shooting glasses" so what the heck I tried it. That's my normal scrip with 1/4 magnification across the lense.
Well it works fine for pistol shooting with big bulls eye pistol targets around 15-20yrds. the the same glasses with the rifle and novelty targets at 50 and beyond get really out of focus.
Interesting. My experience was different. I'm myopic and astigmatic enough that I live in trifocals 16/7, with a reading magnification of of +2.25. My optometrist and I came to an adjustment +0.75 for the distance portion of my shooting glasses (long-gun), and I see my rifle front sight well, the target only somewhat blurry, and the rear sight blurry but usable. (Naturally, the reading "Add" is adjusted accordingly to +1.5.) I see distance well enough to hunt in these, and to drive in them if I have to, at least in daylight (haven't worn them at night). I've previously heard/read of different individuals using shooting-glasses magnifications ranging from +0.50 to at least +1.25, maybe +1.50. It sounds like each shooter needs to experiment and find what works for his/her own eyes and sights.

Regards,
Joel

I have my shooting glasses made up by Bud Decot. http://www.decot.com/content/Vision.htm
They offer frames with removable lenses. When I started having the "aging eyes" issues, I called them. They already had my scrip on file. They made up a special lense for my "Strong" eye that allows me to see the close-up sights better. I kept the "weak-eye" lense which is ground for distance vision. Keep both eyes open, and let my brain figure it out. The addition of a Merit Eye Disc to the strong-side really helps as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
My best suggestion for aging eyes is to go to an aperture rear sight. You will be amazed at how much easier they are to use for old eyes. No need to focus on the rear sights, just the front and the target.

I had it done 3 years ago, it is a true blessing to be able to see 20/20 after wearing glasses or contacts for about 50 years!!!!

The answer for me was to open up that rear sight...My guns have 38 and 42 inch barrels so I can see the front but with the narrow gap in the rear the "fuzziness" covered the front...

You could also move the rear sight forward but then you might have a 4 inch sight radius!!! :shocked2:

The 1.0 to 1.25 reading glasses work great for my old eyes. I have never had any vision problems that required contacts or eyeglasses in my life. Things just start to go down hill in my mid to late 40's I still see fairly well at a distance it's just the close stuff that gives me problems. But the low power readers helped me and I don't have issues with the target being blurred until I go above 1.25 power readers

My Optomotrist is a shooter also. My advice is to try progressive lenses. Pricey? yes, but worth it if you want to hit what you are shooting at with open sights. Works particularly well with pistol where you can look through the very bottom by tipping your head back. Can't do that when snuggled up to a rifle but they still help to see front/rear sight and the target.

X2 for a peep. :wink: Shooting and hitting trumps not being able to see and guessing.

Usually as one ages, the simple solution to correct for age is to move the rear sight forward a few inches. However, in your case, that may not work. Have you considered going to a peep sight? Those things are great. They really clear up the sights and make the target clearer. If I were you, I'd sure give serious consideration to giving them a try. :thumbsup:

I'm Trifocals too, .75 and 1.5

laffindog said:
try progressive lenses.,,
Works particularly well with pistol,

I tried progressive, I couldn't get used to them.
What I didn't like was that the `script" part of the lens is/was just in the center and you have to turn your head to keep inside the correction part. I found I had no peripheral vision.

And your right about the pistol stuff with the magnification. A pistol's short sight radius is held at arms length.

Joel/Calgary said:
an adjustment +0.75 for the distance portion of my shooting glasses (long-gun), and I see my rifle front sight well, the target only somewhat blurry, and the rear sight blurry but usable.
Yeah, :idunno:

This whole getting old thing ain't fer sissy's! :haha:

I wear "no-line bifocals" for everything but shooting. My very old polycarbonate yellow-lensed shooting glasses work very well for seeing the back sight and out to the targets at 100yds and beyond - this pair of glasses has no correction in them. I think that I bought them 20+ years ago before I needed prescription lenses for everyday use. baxter

Well nuts! At my last eye doctor appointment they said that it's about time for my right eye. A fellow shooter in my club had it done and he loves the results. After reading these posts it sounds as though it's a manure shoot. Thanks for sharing!
Geo. T.

Ask your Surgeon about Crystal Lens flexible lens. I had surgery x 1 year ago using the Crystal Lens and can see up close and at distance. The replacement lens uses your eye muscle to to flex and focus like your eyes did when you where20! I would highly recommend.

The CrystaLens are great, if you are a candidate for them...I was so nearsighted and had so much astigmatism that there was only one option for me...And that was a non-adjusting lens...

Actually, you had the option before the surgery. I had cataract surgery on my left eye last week. My right eye was done years ago. Pre-op I was given the option of having my replacement insert lens a near-focus or a distant-focus. I opted for the distant and will wear glasses for reading. If shooting is really important to an individual get the near-focus and be set for life with good rear sight vision and use glasses for general wear.
Other than that, the Merit peep on your glasses is a great device for target shooting. Not practical for hunting. There are other smilar products on the market also. Merits are expensive, pays to shop.

Some of the suggestions may well help. If you like the traditional guns, you can do what I do, and locate the rear sight further forward. I have seen old guns with as many as 4 dovetails cut for the rear sight. The three furthest toward the breech had fillers installed,and the sight rested in the one toward the muzzle. I assumed the same man owned the rifle most of his life, moving the rear sight as his eyes got worse. It works for me.

Back