I can see, I can see!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

Reaction score
This may seem trivial but I am so excited I am on cloud nine!

I have built 5 flintlock and 2 percussion rifles; I don't know how well they will shoot because I have never been able to see the sights well enough to align them properly. I have killed plenty of deer with these rifles and shotguns but had to use a peep sight, fiber optics and a white painted front sight to get on target, even then it was bit of a guess.

I had cataract surgery on both eyes, I had the right eye done yesterday and had to check today to see if I could finally see the sights on my rifles. I CAN!

The pictures are my best representation of what I saw before my surgery and after.

Before surgery;

8bDwP8d.jpg

After surgery;

Z0mJRFq.jpg

JRL1164

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Thats awesome, glad it has worked out for you! I don't know what I would do if I lost the ability, probably go stir crazy.

Reaction score
People don't realize how much better you can see once the cataracts are removed. My opthamalogist calls it "white page effect" - you have one eye done ata time - when one eye is done and you look at a piece of white paper one eye at a time, you realize how bad your eyes were before cataract surgery! I could hardly believe how white and bright the paper looked without the cataracts! Congratulations on successful procedure - things will normally change a bit for 4-6 months afterward.

Reaction score

I have built 5 flintlock and 2 percussion rifles; I don't know how well they will shoot because I have never been able to see the sights well enough to align them properly. I have killed plenty of deer with these rifles and shotguns but had to use a peep sight, fiber optics and a white painted front sight to get on target, even then it was bit of a guess.

I had cataract surgery on both eyes, I had the right eye done yesterday and had to check today to see if I could finally see the sights on my rifles. I CAN!

The pictures are my best representation of what I saw before my surgery and after.

Before surgery;

8bDwP8d.jpg

After surgery;

Z0mJRFq.jpg
I was amazed at the improvement after my surgery a few years back. Good for you!

Reaction score

Before surgery;

8bDwP8d.jpg

After surgery;

Z0mJRFq.jpg
I have the same problem with cataracts.

Reaction score
Good deal. Not being able to see the sites suck. I remember when I was in my 20s being able to cut playing cards in half. I would need to place the whole deck out there now in order to see the card.
I just went to the eyedoctor for new glasses for shooting. Told him I wanted to see the front sight of my handguns and rifles clearly. He said I was 72 years old and I wanted the eyes of a 30 year old! I said yep, that would be nice! Ended up getting progressive lenses that do allow me to see handgun sights clearly, but everything else is kind of a blur - I guess I won't complain!

Reaction score
Eric........You're an old gun builder guy , put one of those "old timie" bent metal peep sights , on the tang of your long rifle. I did that and , it was a miracle. I can see the sights and the target. Amazing , at 75 yrs. old. Those deer best beware , my freezer needs two this year,,,,,,,oldwood

Brokennock

75 Cal.
Reaction score

Before surgery;

8bDwP8d.jpg

After surgery;

Z0mJRFq.jpg
Happy for you Eric. I bet it helps you shooting those selfbows too.

Jaeger

40 Cal.
Reaction score

Before surgery;

8bDwP8d.jpg

After surgery;

Z0mJRFq.jpg
Cataract surgery was a miracle for me, too. I wore glasses from the time I was 12 years old until I was 65! I had to become an old man first before I could ditch the glasses......hahahaha

Latest posts