• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Canoe Gun: the real story

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sensibly, why don't we all just call them 'Shortened Trade Guns,' :hmm: Personally, it'll be the Canoe Gun to me.

OK, I have been following this thread now for a week. I don't want to start another week of argument, so what can I call my .11 ga., Jackie Brown built, Flinter with a 25" barrel.

11 ga., Jackie Brown built, Flinter with 25" barrel doesn't really roll off the tongue, but I sure as H*%# ain't callin' it a canoe gun. :wink:

I think the point has been made that is does not matter what one calls them as long as it is not suggested that they were made for use in canoes or called canoe guns in the 18th century, if one does not have a persona as such it does not matter what you call them and if you do have a persona look at the rest of the gear and most likley a short gun will, be just one of many historical booboos if you are like most of us.

I think they called them "guns". The military called the short 42" barreled muskets "carbines". :haha:

If it was rifled they might even call them "rifled guns" or "rifles".

But first you have to identify a specific "they" and a specific "when" for was.

"I think the point has been made that is does not matter what one calls them as long as it is not suggested that they were made for use in canoes or called canoe guns in the 18th century"

Perfect! My point exactly...
and now let sleeping dogs lie? :surrender:

lonehorseman said:
OK, I have been following this thread now for a week. I don't want to start another week of argument, so what can I call my .11 ga., Jackie Brown built, Flinter with a 25" barrel.

11 ga., Jackie Brown built, Flinter with 25" barrel doesn't really roll off the tongue, but I sure as H*%# ain't callin' it a canoe gun. :wink:

Call it...."Yours"

"and now let sleeping dogs lie?"

Yeah..goodnight Huffy..

""I see the issue mainly as one of those cases where folks buy something they like then try to make it fit into history, the only real problem with this is that it can lead newcommers down a slippery slope."

In response to TG, from a newbie’s point of view...

I have been reading this forum for over 3 years and never felt inclined to post, but I have to say that there are many members posting that may give themselves too much credit and too little credit to the rest of us.

That is life laffindog, I did not care much for the above remarks from Huffy, and I care little if I dissapoint folks this happens wheyther one trys to help or not it seems

Some of you guys amaze me....you can make a mountain out of a mole hill!
I have a 20 ga. shorty ( 20" barrel ) I could care less that Davy Crockett or Liver Eatin' Johnson had one or not.
Mine looks period in any camp.
It probably had a 42" barrel at one time until a wagon or a cart rolled over the barrel.
So who cares, it still throws a mean charge of lead shot or ball.
It has taken turkey, Canada goose, and grouse.....that's good enough for me!
Not to mention it is one of the best pointing guns I have ever had!

Maybe the name could be changed from "Canoe Gun" to "Youcan Gun". "Youcan" load it while standing, kneeling, sitting or even laying down if your arms are long enough. "Youcan" enjoy carrying and shooting it.
Changing the name will probably not help though. Some are troubled by the fact the gun even exist. Its very existence may cause a slippery slope slid that cannot be stopped.
HC/PC not withstanding, "Youcan" purchase one if you choose, but be ready to duck the troll's verbal punches.

Mike Brooks said:
Mike: was that a smoothie or a rifle; just curious. Gun or no gun I have no business in a canoe at all.
I was hunting with a borrowed mid 70's era TC renagade flintlock in .54 cal. Historically as accurate as a canoe gun! :haha: Beggars can't be choosers. :wink:

Man, the cobblers kids have no shoes!

jbwilliams said:
Mike Brooks said:
Mike: was that a smoothie or a rifle; just curious. Gun or no gun I have no business in a canoe at all.
I was hunting with a borrowed mid 70's era TC renagade flintlock in .54 cal. Historically as accurate as a canoe gun! :haha: Beggars can't be choosers. :wink:

Man, the cobblers kids have no shoes!
It's been that way for 15 years..... :shake:

Please check your state hunting regulations before hunting out of a canoe. :nono:

The British Royal Bureau of Accoutrements, Tea, and Firearms (the dreaded Royal ATF) outlawed sawed-off firearms, which were defined as: “Any rifle or fowler with a barrel length of less than 42.” :barf:

Back