• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cannon powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If your cannon is of larger size, (field gun) say 2" bore, to 6pdr (3.67") to 12pdr (4.62"), then using 2FA blasting black powder is great for blank charges. If you know a dealer, he can sell you a 25lb bag of the stuff cheaper per pound than sporting powder. I imagine the current residents of 1700 Pennsylvania Avenue will be clamping down on powder since the left always does. God bless Ronald Reagan. Thanks to him you can own 50 lbs of black powder, before him the limit was 5lbs.

Hi. I am not sure what you mean by screen size but it is a 1/8 scale model. Not too big but also not too small that it makes the detail to fine to be able to make it without maximum effort.

Cannon grade powder is much coarser than 1F but comparable to the lift powder used by the pyro / fireworks guys. Here are a couple of pictures of the grades I use in my 3 inch bore gun.......

Goex cannon grade:

Lift powder:

And here is the gun......

Beautiful piece! Great photos! Thanks.

Not sure which post you mean. I did see the post above regarding blasting/lift powder but weren't those grades also manufactured by GOEX?

I was once given a 2/3 empty can of what was supposed to be black powder for cannons and artillery shells. The can was a bout the size of a 2 one gallon paint cans long, black with a silver metal lid on the end that you pushed down in the center to open. The grains were about 3 x the size of popcorn. There were yellow letters on the outside that said black powder and the letters USN below that. We dumped a few spoon ful on the side walk and lit it. Quite a whoosh and big mushroom cloud. I traded it off to a guy for a something don't remember what, maybe a pistol... .

We could all learn much more about the powder we could use if the restrictions on making it were lifted. Sorry Mods but it's time to get up to date.

I see cans marked "Cowboy" "Canon" and "Cartrige". I'm guessing canon is 2FA but what do the other two mean?

I see cans marked "Cowboy" "Canon" and "Cartrige". I'm guessing canon is 2FA but what do the other two mean?
The cartridge powder was marketed for black powder cartridge shooters. I couldn’t say what made the difference, as to the cowboy again not any data was given to me. They both look close to 3fg or 2fg.
To see he cans start at the top and read down, starting at the bottom of a thread can leave you short.

I actually HAVE these cans. I bought a bunch of empty Black Powder containers from various sources so I could store my own powder properly and was making an effort to replace the original contents of the can as close as I could. For canon powder I know what that is, (larger than 1F) but the other two labels left me wondering what size that was and why it needed a special label.

Back