• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cane powder measures

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudd turtle

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I just got some cane from a friend and made a couple of cane measures out of it. What can be used to prevent the cane from cracking and spliting. What should i finish the measures with. Could anyone help out with this question. the first one already split and i threw away. Does anyone have a source for river cane you might send me mudd turtle.

Cane is a grass, not wood. It will eventually dry out enough to split lengthwise, unless you can soak it in oil to fill the pores well. You can " coat " the outside of bamboo, but it won't allow you to stain it, or soak up oil finishes. Use a varnish, or shellac that is thinned with alcohol.

I would suggest using some tightly woven string, like fishing line, ( not the synthetics) to wrap the end of the piece of bamboo. It the cut is more than 3 inches from the the knuckle of the bamboo, then consider wrapping it tightly in two places. Put some varnish or finish, or even glue on the string wrap to lock the wraps in place. Leave the measures hang somewhere its warm and moist as opposed to cool and dry. The few bamboo fishing poles I ever owned never seemed to survive the dry winters in N. Illinois when I was growing up, without developing splits in the bamboo.

My brother and I made the mistake of planting bamboo about 35 yr ago. I have a huge patch. Round up has no effect. I would love to be able to control it. It ranges from 1/4 in. to 2 in. I use it in the garden and it does well for about 3 yr. If left in the sun it will split but I have cut some and put it in my shed and it is still good after many years. I have made a few powder measures and they don't split. I even thought of making a small business of it. I live in southwest Virginia and would be happy to send you some to experiment with. Just let me know what sizes you want. Bert

Like Paul said. Braided fishing line comes in handy for bamboo rod repair.I should work to keep the cracks in check.

For you historically minded folks, bamboo was introduced in colonial times with Savannah being one of the first places. It was used in rich folks big garden's as an ornamental but soon found many common uses on plantations and farms . Wherever tobacco was grown, particulary from Va. south and where it could survive the weather it was planted for stakes and to use in hanging tobacco in barns to cure. I see it everywhere in eastern NC, particularly at old farm places. It grows wild where it has been planted. Wonky

I have measures i made from river cane that are many years old with no issues and no finish applied, don't really see the need or point in doing so.

I also have a few made from bamboo (in-laws backyard) that are a couple of years old, no issues with them either and they are also left natural.

Amazing stuff bamboo, hard to control and very hearty. The roots grow outward very far and new sprouts pop-up from the roots and the cycle continues.

I have made several cane measures and haven't had any of them split on me unless I made a mistake while cutting it or working on the pour spout. When I have had a small split, one that doesn't run all the way down I use artificial sinew broken down to a single strand wrapping it around the split area as tight as I can. I have on occasion worked a little super glue into the split and then wrapped it. This works pretty well and is an authentic repair as well. If you want to put a finish on it and I usually do, take a knife and scrape the outer waxy coating off the section, or use sandpaper, either way will work. That way you can gat a finish to stick. You guys are gonna laugh when you find out what I use as a finish... are you ready? you sure? go to the corner store and pick up a can of brown KIWI shoe polish, put some on a paper towel and have at it! It makes for a nice finish. I've also used it on powder horns I've made and believe it or not, it gives it a nice warm patina,and does not come out tacky or sticky in any way. I've been told that shoe polish is a often used but seldom mentioned finish for such things. Anyway there's my two cents on the matter at hand. Hope you can get something out of it. :v

Hey,Fallaloosa, you just had to reveal the family trade secret didn't you.Well I'll go a step foward and add to it. I have used shoe polish on furniture and if the colors of the can aren't exactly what you want then you can blend some such as black and brown etc.This is done either by putting some of each color on a flat surface and using your finger or some other instrument you can blend them and get what you want or you can melt the two and then when it gels again you will have created another color.Along with shoe polish clear auto wax is another tool used by some furniture refinishers particularly on table tops to get a really hard finish.Still another product to use and I have used it on antler is iodine. I don't use the stuff that comes in the small bottle but rather ordered a 16 oz.bottle of "srong iodine tincture usp.sold by Humco{google the name}and I believe it cost about $15.00 but that will last me forever.I think it works well on horns,bones,and antlers but as always one should experiment.I hope this helps.
Tom Patton

Darned if I can remember the details, but long ago an elderly friend was a river cane lover and used it in any project he could dream up.

The part I can't remember is his "harvest season." He said that if you cut it at the wrong time of year, it would crack when cut.

Anyone out there know enough to fill in the blanks in my brain?

BTW- A couple of years ago I tried brown Kiwi for finishing a hickory ramrod. Jussright.

fallaloosa said:
Iodine...it aint just for boo boos anymore :rotf:

I took a small clip pointed blade with a broken tang and set it in one of the the antler handles from a carving knife set,put in an "iron" pin{finishing nail},then poured some melted modern pewter at the base of the knife blade and used shoe polish and iodine to darken the handle a little.I collect old crude and primitive knives so I put this knife in with about 15-20 old knives at a collector's show and would you believe which knife got the most attention? One thing,however,if you're going to pour in melted metal{lead or pewter}and you select pewter be sure to use old pewter. It greys up better because of the lead content.Also try to use semi old blades with no markings which are fairly thin and require very little shaping.I bought a dandy late 18th or early 19th century knife at Manskers a few years back for $5.00 but don't have the heart to re-handle it.

There you have a mini tutorial on the gentle art of faking/recreating old knives.Scary ain't it?
Tom Patton

All the bamboo in this country was not imported. We have three native varieties being switch cane, river cane, and the recently classified hill cane. The native people in areas where it grew used it for arrow and spear shafts and also for structural use. Making powder measures of it would be correct and proper in my opinion.
Just a couple sparks from this side of the fire.

Cut river cane in the winter when the sap is down. If it is growing the moisture content is too high. I have made arrows from it that fly as good (after the cane is straightened) as some of the high dollar custom jobs.

Back