• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

River Cane Uses

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,
I’m in luck to be near a significant source of River cane, and I’ve collected about 24’ worth of it. There’s easily a thousand feet or more cane in one particular spot. I’m thinking of making a bunch of powder measures, pre-measured charges, and spice containers. What would y’all make out of River cane?

Take a bunch strip it into flat strips, then laminate it into boards. Then you could carve out a stock with it. Maybe a pistol stick first and then a long gun stock. It would look pretty neat actually. I have seen counter tops, platters and cutting boards made like that.

I use cane for spouts of ball bags where I kept the node inside the leather neck. About 1.5x ball diameter is what I want for a ball bag. So fit a .50, a 3/4” “pipe” of cane.

Also measures of course.

And arrows.
Spouts for ball bags, that’s a great idea. I’ll give that a try when I make some bags again.

Ranging from 5/8” to about 1”
Powder flask. Made a smaller one about 1" diameter as well. Make em any height you want. Can be used for powder or shot. Different spout makes a priming flask possible.

Attachments

• 20220305_065155.jpg
    20220305_065155.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Powder flask. Made a smaller one about 1" diameter as well. Make em any height you want. Can be used for powder or shot. Different spout makes a priming flask possible.
HHHmmmm....
The neighbor right down the road has a stand of bamboo that is up about 20+' tall and some about 4" round at the base.
He said that we could take all that we want from that to try to keep it down.

HHHmmmm....
The neighbor right down the road has a stand of bamboo that is up about 20+' tall and some about 4" round at the base.
He said that we could take all that we want from that to try to keep it down.
These were some old tiki torches I cut up to make them. Cut above the knuckle and the base is done. Top as you see fit.....fun litte project and easy.

Heat-treated, straightened and sorted for spine, they can make very good atlatl dart shafts.
I also put them to a different use years ago when I was absorbed by the history of the Boers in South Africa, and in particular the Battle of Blood River against Dingane's Zulu multitudes in 1838. At the time, the Boers wielded distinctive, long-barrelled and very large-bore flintlocks, and one of its most fearsome projectiles was a small bunch of rough buckshot sewn into a neat antelope skin package that just fit down the bore.
I made one of these and for the buckshot, I poured molten lead down the hollow cavities of several pieces of river cane. Once it hardened and the cane was stripped away, it left an 8- or 9-inch length of lead "wire" about the diameter of a pencil. I chopped these into pieces about as long as wide, rolled them between two hard surfaces to round the edges and then sewed up a dozen or so in a scrap of leather.

https://www.sahistory.org.za/dated-event/battle-blood-river

Latest posts

Back