• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cane Cannon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Don’t know if this okay to post here if not please delete
Needed something to do in this cold weather, so I decided to build a cane cannon i am not a machinist but I do have a lathe and mill and love to piddle
IMG_2038.jpeg
IMG_2036.jpeg
IMG_2037.jpeg
IMG_2043.jpeg

I don’t believe muzzle loaders are federally considered firearms or under purview of the NFA but I could be wrong when it comes to AOWs.
Hope you got your Form 1 squared away before you made that.

It's an AOW under the NFA even though it doesn't accept fixed ammunition and doesn't fire through the stalk in the traditional way. If it is bored through to the touch hole on the breech end it is functional. Perfectly legal under Federal law for any lawful citizen of the USA to make for their personal use, IF the proper paperwork is filed and approved by the ATF beforehand. Many state and local jurisdictions prohibit possession of otherwise lawfully obtained NFA items, check with your local head of law enforcement (police chief or sheriff) before filing.

From the NFA Handbook, chapter 2.1.5: Any other weapon. Firearms meeting the definition of “any other weapon” are weapons or devices capable of being concealed on the person from which a shot can be discharged through the energy of an explosive. Many “any other weapons” are disguised devices such as penguns, cigarette lighter guns, knife guns, cane guns and umbrella guns.

Last edited:
It's an AOW under the NFA even though it doesn't accept fixed ammunition and doesn't fire through the stalk in the traditional way. If it is bored through to the touch hole on the breech end it is functional. Perfectly legal under Federal law for any lawful citizen of the USA to make for their personal use, IF the proper paperwork is filed and approved by the ATF beforehand. Many state and local jurisdictions prohibit possession of otherwise lawfully obtained NFA items, check with your local head of law enforcement (police chief or sheriff) before filing.

From the NFA Handbook, chapter 2.1.5: Any other weapon. Firearms meeting the definition of “any other weapon” are weapons or devices capable of being concealed on the person from which a shot can be discharged through the energy of an explosive. Many “any other weapons” are disguised devices such as penguns, cigarette lighter guns, knife guns, cane guns and umbrella guns.
Muzzle loaders don’t meet the definition of “firearm” federally so I don’t believe this applies…. For instance other traditionally NFA items such as SBRs, SBSs, and DDs have similar definitions regarding discharge by the energy of an explosive but are not under the purview of the NFA if they are muzzle loading… I could be wrong though so I will look more into it. Very cool cane though OP.

Guys I guess I should have said that the barrel is NOT bored all the way to the torch hole I should have been more clear in my post didn’t mean to steer up a hornets nest

Back