• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Canadian regs?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Need advice on Canadian regs concerning muzzle loaders. My Uncle bear hunts in New Brunswick every year, normaly uses bow but I built him a flinter to use this year. He said you have to register all guns when going into Canadia. Muzzle loaders too? What if the muzzle loader is custom made and has no ser #?

Thanks!

In Canada Flintlock are exempt from all regulations and don't need to be registered.I'm not sure about the rules for bringing one into canada.I haven't had to do that yet.

Hey Swamprat, there is a web sight run by the Canadian customs about firearms. It's been a while (years) since I've been on it but it is pretty specific and should answer your questions. :thumbsup:

Thanks gmww,
After your post I googled and found the site. Came up with this, so I think he's all set and shouldn't run into any problems.

Antique Firearms
If you own or wish to acquire an antique firearm, here is some information you should know about how the Firearms Act applies to firearms that meet the definition of an antique, as set out in the Criminal Code and the Criminal Code Regulations.

The Definition of an Antique
The Criminal Code defines antique firearms as:

firearms manufactured before 1898 that were not designed or re-designed to discharge rim-fire or centre-fire ammunition, or
firearms prescribed as antique firearms in the Criminal Code regulations. These are:

Black Powder Reproductions:
of flintlock, wheel-lock or matchlock firearms, other than handguns, manufactured after 1897; (All other reproductions must be registered and owners must have a firearm licence to possess them. For example, reproductions of percussion cap muzzle-loading firearms like American Civil War Enfield and Springfield rifles will be considered firearms and not antiques.)

Rifles:
manufactured before 1898 that can discharge only rim-fire cartridges, other than 22 Calibre Short, 22 Calibre Long or 22 Calibre Long Rifle cartridges;
manufactured before 1898 that can discharge centre-fire cartridges (whether with a smooth or rifled bore), have a bore diameter of 8.3 mm or greater, measured from land to land in the case of a rifled bore, with the exception of a repeating firearm fed by any type of cartridge magazine

Shotguns:
manufactured before 1898 that can discharge only rim-fire cartridges, other than 22 Calibre Short, 22 Calibre Long or 22 Calibre Long Rifle cartridges;
manufactured before 1898 that can discharge centre-fire cartridges, other than 10, 12, 16, 20, 28, or 410 gauge cartridges

Handguns:
manufactured before 1898 that can discharge centre-fire cartridges, other than a handgun designed or adapted to discharge 32 Short Colt, 32 Long Colt, 32 Smith and Wesson, 32 Smith and Wesson Long, 32-20 Winchester, 38 Smith and Wesson; 38 Short Colt, 38 Long Colt, 38-40 Winchester, 44-40 Winchester, or 45 Colt cartridges

Licensing and Registration Requirements
If you own only antique firearms you do not need to:

get a firearms licence; or
register any of your antique firearms.
Selling Antique Firearms
There are no restrictions on selling, buying, bartering or giving away your antique firearms.

Safety Regulations
Under the Firearms Act, antique firearms must be stored, displayed and transported unloaded.

If you are transporting your antique firearms and need to leave them unattended*, leave them in your vehicle’s locked trunk or similar compartment. If your vehicle does not have a trunk or compartment, lock the vehicle and leave the antique firearms inside and out of sight.

Antique handguns must be locked in a heavy-duty, non-see-through container that cannot be easily broken open during transportation.

* Unattended means a vehicle that is not under the direct and immediate supervision of an adult (18 years of age or older) or a minor (with a minor’s licence).

Replicas of Antique Firearms
Although replica firearms are made to look like the original, they are distinct from reproductions or antiques. Replicas look the same, but are different because they cannot discharge projectiles at all, or can discharge only harmless projectiles. (Devices that discharge projectiles that can cause serious bodily injury are not replicas).

Replicas of antiques are not considered firearms. Under the law they will be treated the same as antiques.

Information
For more information, contact us by one of the following methods:

telephone: 1 800 731-4000 (Toll Free)

web site: www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca

e-mail: [email protected]

This fact sheet is intended to provide general information only. For legal references, please refer to the Firearms Act and its regulations.

Provincial, territorial and municipal laws, regulations and policies may also apply.

Le présent feuillet d'information est également disponible en français.

Revised April 2005

They used to have a site that includes a PDF download to fill out if your bringing a gun into Canada too. It was real clear what not to bring. :grin:

Back