• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Canadian question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I beleive handguns were first regulated in Canada in 1934. I think full auto weapons were regulated at the same time. Although there is no place in this country that you may be in possession of a handgun outside of your home or an approved shooting range (unless you have a permit to transport it from one to the other), you can drive around with a loaded rifle in your truck in my county except during deer season. There is a lot of confusion over gun laws up here because nobody realizes that many regulations are provincial or municipal. So many lefty hotheads up here don't realize that a lot of firearm regulations in the USA are actually state laws, and some states and cities have laws that are just as strict as the ones we have here. Whenever one of my fellow Canucks decides to go on an anti-US rant, decrying the "right-wing police state" you people supposedly have down there, I always bring up Vermont - concealed-carry permits, gay marriage, no helmet laws, and lenient marijuana penalties. You can actually meet bareheaded, pistol-packing bikers who are high on drugs and bonded in matrimony to each other. Doesn't get much more liberal than that!

At one time in Canada , every male between 16 and 60 years old
was required by law to own a gun ... it was before 1759
when it was a french colony :hmm:

Guns were confiscated in 1760 by the Brits , given back for the 1812 war
confiscated again in 1837 ... you kind of get used to it after
a while :rotf:

Canadian Health benifits..... :rotf:

Funny stuff that..Health insurance would be cheaper, I get payed something between 8-9 hundred 2x a month from the night job and each paycheque has about 4 hundred pulled from it for these supposed services.
I am 28 and have had a f/t job since I was 14 .

I get no dental ,no vision coverage and still must pay for a ambulance if its required.

I would rather keep more money and pay 100$$ a MONTH TO GET HEALTH INSURANCE that would cover everything with quality services.

I could probabily afford some really great university courses aswell if I wasnt nearly taxed to death every where I turn.

But then who would pay for the welfare cases beer and pizza parties,and these immigrants coming here with 14 kids and elderly relitives and cannot speak english go immediatly on welfare get free schooling ,transportation.

Just venting sorry. :yakyak:

In Ontario the game warden dosn't need a search warrentto come into your house if he has probbable cause( suspects you have ileagal game)or if an ofence has been reported Fisher King :v

Actualy in old english comon law we are still part of a militia until 65 buy law supos to have a long gun in the house. but those old laws only apply if it falls on the government side of looking at things. Fisher King.

some Canadians are getting permit to carry concealed wepens out of Oragon state take a test and a back ground check and Canadians can carry in some 30 states. Fisher King. :thumbsup:

I was under the impression that you could take a long arm into Canada for bear protection if you were going into some wilder areas like northern Quebec, etc.

Long guns are registered in Canada at this moment. You can read the regs by doing a search for 'import guns Canada' to find the scoop on the laws concerning bringing guns to Canada. At the least you will have to register the gun in our #@%&*# system.
Flintlocks are not covered by the law. (my favorite gun law).

bessbattlesystem said:
Can a game warden come on to my private land without being invited?
"In Canada"

Robert

In Alberta they have to have reasonable grounds to believe a crime has been commited. In Alberta sustinance hunting any time of the year is also legal if you live in a very remote area. That law is a moot point as the liklyhood of seeing another human is extremly rare.

You can legaly carry a handgun when prospecting or living in very remote locations also but you need to apply for the permit.

If you live in a rural area and can reasonably expect livestock predators you are allowed to have a gun and ammo readily accessable also.

Most of Canadian gun laws originate in Ontario but unfortunatly all of Canada has to suffer.

In Ontario the Bush Cops have more power of seach without warrant than regular Cops. Not that it ever stops regular Cops.

You can legaly carry a handgun when prospecting or living in very remote locations also but you need to apply for the permit.

Out of curiosity, what is the level of difficulty in obtaining such a permit if you were a Canadian resident wanting to do those activities?

A permit such as this for a handgun here in Canada...never. All handguns are highly restricted. Besides having to be registered, we have to apply for an ATT, which is "Authorization to Transport", in order to travel to a recognized rifle range, which is the only place we can legally take them. The permit allows only transport to and from the range, by the most direct route, and nowhere else. The permit and registration must be carried with the handgun. Basically, the only allowable reason to even own a handgun here is to use it at an approved range. Collectors fall into another category, but are similarly restricted.

Sorry...kinda got off the topic of the original question.

The entry onto private land in the case of a DNR officer or indeed any LEO falls under the provision "in pursuit of duties" and that can be to check if you are carrying a firearms, at a distance a post hole auger can look like a longarm or because some passerby reported suspicious activity.

As far as carrying a handgun, remote area permits and authorization to carry, which is not an authorization to transport can and are issued for prospectors, biologists, search and rescue personnel, people who are traveling in remote area's with a high grizzly bear population (BC comes to mind and if memory serves you can also get a permit to carry a 22 pistol for the purpose of trapping provided 60 percent of ones income is derived from such activity, but that may have changed we are talking in the 1988 - early 90's again BC)and the applications are handled on a case by case basis and while you can apply there is is no guarantee that one will be issued.

Manitoba armed it's DNR a few years back.

Latest posts

Back