• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can one use lead from batteries to make lead balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reminds me of a couple of jokes:

A neutron walks into a bar and asks the bartender, "Hey, how much is a beer?"

The bartender replies, "For you, no charge."

--------------------------------

A depressed atom is walking down the street, and a concerned lady stops him and asks what the matter is. He says, "I think I've lost an electron somewhere."

She replies, "Are you sure?"

He replies, "I'm positive."

:youcrazy: :sorry: :eek:ff:

I just think Ole Zonie's a couple Volts short of a 12 Volt battery. Just keep it clean guys. We don't want no sexy AC/DC talk. Bill

My wife was going to take them to the recycling center
hey, Rootnuke, How'd you get so lucky to get a good woman that'll take stuff to the center. My wife makes me do it. :haha: Bill

Actually I think some of the electrical responces to the question are reVOLTING! A man can't sit in his OHM and ask WATT you guys know. It sounds like a severe case of BATTERY to me. He's probably wondering WIRE you guys all against him?

It's a good thing Redhairedwench didn't answer him. He would probably find it hard to RESISTER!!!!! :: :: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :: ::

Hey Zonie,

I got a kick out of your POST. WIRE you doing this to us. Do I detect some ACID in your commentary? Or is it that you are well GROUNDED and just like to send a little JOLT our way once in a while. I must say you do have the CAPACITOR to do that. You could be CHARGED with being a punny guy. No need to be NEGATIVE about this, and there is no reason to resort to BATTERY. OHM I God - I'm getting worse than Zonie. :yakyak: :eek:

Don't make me post the forum cheerleaders picture again... :eek: :crackup:

I learned how lead-acid batteries are manufactured this year while helping one of our vendors develop a ruggedized version that would live through our applications noise and vibration environment.

All of the individual plates are manufacured by casting a pure lead grid (which includes a tab that is soldered to the buss bar that connects the indivual plates, then squeegeeing a lead oxide slurry into the grid. The positive plates and negative plates get different lead oxide mixtures, and I don't know the difference because I didn't ask. These individual plates are extremely fragile, approximately 0.060 inches thick; the thickness varies depending whether the plate is positive or negative, and according to the end application.

Anyway, I think you could reclaim this lead by cutting the cells open so each plate could be extracted. Half of the plates were enclosed in a polypropylene envelope that contained the fiberglass matt wrap. This wrap is soaked in acid since these were dry cell batteries and can be easily removed.

Once you have the plates, I would think melting them would drive off any residual acid (or they could be washed and neutralized first) and the alloying elements could eventually be spooned off as dross.

When I was touring the manufacturers plant, I commented that all I could see was thousands of pounds of bullets. There is tons of lead ingots everywhere in the casting room and receiving. I would have liked a bucket or two of the overflow splashed around the area where molding was conducted! It's also a filthy place to work, with the drab gray look of Orwell's 1984.

My wife was going to take them to the recycling center
hey, Rootnuke, How'd you get so lucky to get a good woman that'll take stuff to the center. My wife makes me do it. :haha: Bill

How'd you get so lucky to get a good woman that'll take stuff to the center.

I don't know. But my first guess is that life is so great, I'm so winderful and she is so happy to have me as her husband, she does it because she l-o-v-e-s me.
My second guess is that she knows that if she does not do it, it will never happen.

Reminds me of a couple of jokes:

A neutron walks into a bar and asks the bartender, "Hey, how much is a beer?"

The bartender replies, "For you, no charge."

--------------------------------

A duck waddles into a bar and sez: "Hey barkeep, gimme a shot and a beer and put it on my bill!"

That deserves the cheerleaders picture!

Tried that, found the whole thing REVOLTING!
Just not worth the trouble.
Flashing, x-ray leading, piping, all better at yielding returns.
Last resort,, E-bay, cheap on "pure" lead. It's already cleaned and cast into 1 lb. ingots at less than $0.50/lb. if you wait your turn.

That deserves the cheerleaders picture
It's first grade cute/stupid, and maybe deserves the skank platypus hat award, but it ain't so bad it deserves the cheerleaders. It's gotta be BUTTUGLY BAD to deserve them. I mean warsh yer mouth out with Drano bad to get the Cheerleaders Award. That duck joke ain't even close, now Zonie's remarkable pun's, they might be close. :crackup: :crackup: Bill

NOT THE CHEERLEADERS!! :shocking:
Talk about reVOLTING!! I'm affeered iffen Ah has ta see em again it might be TERMINAL! :shocking: :crackup:

NOT THE CHEERLEADERS!! :shocking:
Talk about reVOLTING!! I'm affeered iffen Ah has ta see em again it might be TERMINAL! :shocking: :crackup:

Don't make me inlarge them... :crackup:

I will if I have to... :eek:

That deserves the cheerleaders picture
It's first grade cute/stupid, and maybe deserves the skank platypus hat award, but it ain't so bad it deserves the cheerleaders. It's gotta be BUTTUGLY BAD to deserve them. I mean warsh yer mouth out with Drano bad to get the Cheerleaders Award. That duck joke ain't even close, now Zonie's remarkable pun's, they might be close. :crackup: :crackup: Bill

Does that mean I gotta work on my jokes? Shucks! Bad jokes you want.....ohhhhhhh goody! :haha:

Wal, iffen tha croud don't laff tha mite thro sum o em rottin egs! Than tha yoke's on you!!

Ah uster be kalled the Pungent. :: ::

Back