• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can I Shoot Out A Stuck Ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ccmountainman said:
perhaps a grease nipple fitted to the touch hole and use a grease gun.

If all else fails that will work, it is what I use

William Alexander

shotgunner87 said:
Squire Robin I'm glad someone else's brain works the same way mine does. And my wife tells me I'm and odd ball at least I have proof there is someone else like me now. :hatsoff:

Hi Shotgunner87

I didn't think anyone was going to reply #muggles

My wife keeps telling me what is wrong with me. I don't care so long as she never actually gets it right :rotf:

best

Squire Robin

i dry balled my 62 jaeger once. i went to the hardware store and bought a 3/8 steel rod and welded a heavy sheet metal screw on one end and a T handle on the other. screwed into the ball about 3 turns, i found a fork tree put the T between and gave it a good yank and the ball pulled right out.

Boy I would hate to waste a barrel full of grease to get a stuck ball out when using a ball puller on a sturdy range rod is so much faster and less messy.
I make my own brass ball pulling spuds out of brass rod stock, a slip fit in the bore with a heavy wood screw threaded and soldered to the other end.
They are self centering and when used with a 10x28 thread into the stainless, ball handled range rod you could lift a small pick up with it on the pull.
I've used car bumpers, range benches, shooting friends and overhead cover,super structures to pull balls with them.
I have lots of dry or stuck ball pulling experiences and most of them are my own! True Story :rotf:

I saw that you said you had tried a screw type ball puller. If the screw went completely through the ball then the grease or coke trick won't work unless you leave the screw in the ball.

A careful reading of the OP shows that he said "I have taken the touch hole plug out and removed the powder." :doh:

Some people's kids!!! :rotf:

Billnpatti said:
A careful reading of the OP shows that he said "I have taken the touch hole plug out and removed the powder." :doh:

Some people's kids!!! :rotf:

His problem is not that he removed the powder. His problem is that he couldn't seat the ball all the way and it is stuck about a foot down from the muzzle. If he tried to shoot it out, or if he left the powder in there and it accidentally went off, odds are extremely high that he would ruin the barrel and possibly injure himself or others. That's why you are seeing every suggestion possible for dry-ball removal EXCEPT for firing it out. :doh:

Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:
Dan

Yes, you can fire it out.
I 've done it a lot.

I just push the ball on down. If it's tough to push, I've used a tree to push the ball down with the ramrod. Then, I feed a small spoonful's worth of 3F powder thru the touch hole which may take up to 5 minutes,
load the pan with 4f & fire it angled towards the ground.

Then drop the ramrod into the barrel to see if it's out.

Worked for me dozens of times...”¦”¦”¦.

It remains within 2 feet of the end of the barrel. I have tried beating it down with a brass rod. I do not want to drive it down using full force. It is only a ball with a lubed patch, I can not understand why it is so jammed. Hopefully, I can take it to a gunsmith tomorrow. I realy like this gun.

Have you tried pouring a little bit of water down the barrel, letting it soak for a minute and then pushing it down the barrel?

That has worked for me on several occasions.

The thing to remember is you just want enough water to slightly wet the bore and patch.
You don't want so much that it would dampen the powder charge if some leaked past the stuck ball.

If the water trick doesn't work be sure to drain out any water that might remain and then spray the inside of the barrel with WD40 to keep things from rusting.

Remove the barrel from the stock and then the breech plug from the barrel. Hammer out the ball from the breech end. If you've never removed a breech plug before then let an experienced gunsmith do it for you.

You indicated the ball is really stuck. I've had that happen before too.

What I did in that case was”¦..picked up a hollow old metal ramrod & with one open, I duct taped a drill bit in the hole.

Before inserting it in the gun”¦I rolled enough tape on the outside of the ramrod to keep the bit from touching the inside of the barrel once it's shoved in the barrel.

I tightened a cordless drill on the other end of the old ramrod & drilled a hole thru the stuck ball. It came right out that time.

Good luck with whoever you do”¦.

Mate, I would do as Bull 3540 suggests, remove the barrel, remove the breech plug and belt it out from the rear with as big a diameter brass rod as will fit the bore. If not take it to a suitable gunsmith to do the same.
Do not use powder to blast it out, you will at least bulge the barrel at worst split it and yourself.

cheers

Heelerau

The rifle is resting comfortably in the care of a gunsmith this evening. Thanks to everyone for your help.

Good onya mate !! Please post on condition of the bore as am curious as to why the ball jammed so tight

cheers

heelerau

Had this happen to a guy a few years ago, ball went about half way down and no farther, he hammered and pounded on it, said he was just gonna shoot it out, we told him that was not a good idea. Turns out we pulled about 3-4 loads of powder and balls out of it, he likes to talk a lot! flinch

The rifle is resting comfortably in the care of a gunsmith this evening.

That’s the best idea without a doubt, good for you.
:thumbsup:

Alexander

Back