• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can anyone interpret this?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sir, No the bullet can be cylindrical. Use something with lots of grease grooves, known as the Loverin style.
There is a bullet mold made for the Whitworth rifle that is cylindrical. It's .45 caliber and shoots well. I believe Dixie gun works carries it in their catalog. For another size bore, it is custom time.

Gooddaytoya,
I shoot a cylinder paper patched bullet in my Whitworth and have never tried a hexagonal bullet. Here is a target shot a week ago at 100yds. The three marked in red were hang fires. The last four are climbing out of the red center.

Attachments

• 20211021_161540.jpg
    20211021_161540.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 44
While a round bullet properly patched will work, most prefer the actual hex slug. The molds for true hex are not cheap.

Huh, I always thought the Whitworth required a hex bullet and the 451 volunteer rifle a round bullet!
The Whitworth can shoot cylindrical or mechanically fitting hexagonal bullets. 19thC Whitworth loading instructions noted “The cylindrical form of projectile is the best for general use. It is 530 grains in weight and is wrapped with paper.” The soft lead bullet had a base cavity to aid expansion to the hexagonal bore on firing. Harder bullets in hexagonal form could be fired.

David

The Whitworth can shoot cylindrical or mechanically fitting hexagonal bullets. 19thC Whitworth loading instructions noted “The cylindrical form of projectile is the best for general use. It is 530 grains in weight and is wrapped with paper.” The soft lead bullet had a base cavity to aid expansion to the hexagonal bore on firing. Harder bullets in hexagonal form could be fired.

David
Thank you. I've learnt something new I did not know. 👍

I had the hex bore Whitworth replica. With the hex bullets, it tended to lead badly, unless oiled paper was wrapped around the bullet. The cylindrical bullet was easier, and shot just as well.

Latest posts

Back