• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can any make out this name?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Saw his at a pawn shop and grabbed a quick pic does anybody know the name?

Attachments

• E0640275-55B0-4245-BD30-441960E30594.jpeg
    E0640275-55B0-4245-BD30-441960E30594.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
It would help if we knew something about the gun. Half stock, full stock, percussion, flint. Maybe other pictures?
It was a quick pick and that’s all I could get yesterday, it was a half stock, percussion, had a hinged patch box with pewter nose cap. Double set triggers. I will do my best to get better pics on Monday. Stock had Ben broken and repaired several times. It was also a brass mounted gun.

Played around with it in Photoshop, but I still am not sure. What appears to be part of the engraving in places may just be nicks, scratches, etc. on the metal.
barrel aignature.jpg

It also may be just: A. Phillils, and the half circle in front of the A is just a decorative mark. Again still probably the original owners first initial last name.

I have posted this previously. It might help with reading faint engraving on a gun.

Some have suggested using wax to highlight and bring out stamps and engraving, but I have found using a piece of old chalkboard chalk like they used when many of us were in school works well. When rubbed over the metal surface, the chalk helps make any markings much more visible, and it’s easily cleaned up leaving no evidence anything was done. As an example, both the following photographs were taken at about the same distance with the same camera and lighting (handheld, so slight difference). Difference is that before the second photograph chalk was rubbed into the engraving. Believe you can see that one is significantly easier to read than the other. No other adjustments or funny business between the two photographs.
1653771847750.png

1653771865152.jpeg

I have posted this previously. It might help with reading faint engraving on a gun.

Some have suggested using wax to highlight and bring out stamps and engraving, but I have found using a piece of old chalkboard chalk like they used when many of us were in school works well. When rubbed over the metal surface, the chalk helps make any markings much more visible, and it’s easily cleaned up leaving no evidence anything was done. As an example, both the following photographs were taken at about the same distance with the same camera and lighting (handheld, so slight difference). Difference is that before the second photograph chalk was rubbed into the engraving. Believe you can see that one is significantly easier to read than the other. No other adjustments or funny business between the two photographs.
1653771847750.png

1653771865152.jpeg
that works good , thanks for the tip

Back