• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Camp Cooking-looking for ideas

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr. Woodhick,
Is that one pound of "regular" rice? Uncooked? No water?
Please advise as I am a little slow some days and other days just don't know what I'm doing at all (so the wife says :redface:).
Best Wishes

Here is one from me....
It is called "Chicken Ala Holley" will need a dutch oven

and this all depends on how many you are feeding..but this will work for about 9 people unless they are ravenous.

1.two chickens cut up...Or.9 breast of chicken or what ever part you like of the dead bird.
2.One big box of yellow rice or white rice "uncle Bens" quick rice. Saffron rice will work great too. All depends on taste and your money.
3.Curry powder..small can will do unless this crowd likes "hot mouth"
4.Parmason or mutzerela cheese grated..one good package. Again...depends on how cheesy the group is.::
5.Salt..all to taste..I usually put in a good table spoon.
6.water for the rice
7.cut up or stewed tomatoes...optional

First roast or bake or stew your chicken parts. I like lightly roasted chicken or if you have a time problem...you can always get the pre-cooked ::chicken parts. Then take all the meat off the bones..discard bones..:rolleyes:sometimes they do eat the bones or the bones eat them...and choke.

Second...put in the rice, water, table spoon of curry to taste ( and turns rice yellow) be careful:nono:make sure group can handle hot spice. Stewed cut up tomatoes...salt..

Let it simmer a while...then put in chicken...and the cheese
and put a good layer on top....let it bake for about 45 min. or so...depends on the dutch oven and coals.
Stir every so often...and then eat....

Never had left overs with this.:thumbsup:

Be careful...can cause the "Blazing Saddles" bean episode if you stay around talking toooooo long.
:shocking: :shocking: :blah:ut a good layer on top....let it bake for about 45min. or so...depends on the dutch oven and coals.
Stir every so often...and then eat....

Never had left overs with this.:thumbsup:

Be carefull...can cause the "Blazind Sadles" bean episode if you stay around talking toooooo long.
:shocking: :shocking: :blah:

WindWalker
Yes that is a pound of uncooked , no water, regular white rice.

NOT the instant type.

Woody

I didn't recall seeing any breakfast other than bisquits or grits, so here's one even egg haters will eat...

1 lb bacon, thick slice
18 large eggs
2-3 medium onions, red, white, vidalia-
handful of grated hard cheese- romano, parmesan, something sharp and a little zesty.

Heat a Dutch oven, while it's heating up cut the bacon into about 1" pieces, toss bacon into the DO to cook, and slice the onions. When the bacon is done, remove bacon and toss in the onions until they're translucent. While onions are cooking crack and mix the eggs with a handful of cheese (add 1/2 cup of milk if ya got it, otherwise don't) and a little pepper to taste. Remove the onions, pour off most of the bacon fat (save for spreading on toast for later).

Pour egg mix into DO, add bacon and onions and stir. Cover, add a dozen or so coals on top and bake for about 15-20 minutes. Watch your amounts and DO size... This rises, so needs at least 1" of room or it WILL push the lid clean off and ooze into the fire.

With some toast or make up some onion-shell biskies, Serves 6-8 hungry folks :thumbsup:.

One more breakfast...

Baked apple pancake
4 granny Smith apples, fresh sliced and soaked in 1/4 cup lemon juice (tastes good & prevents rusty apples)
2 cups (dry) water-only buttermilk pancake mix
About 1/2 teaspoon each of cinnamon & nutmeg.

Dump mix into dutch oven, add apples and lemon juice and enough water to form a loose batter.

Cover and bake for 30-45 minutes on medium fire.

Variation- add some raisins or a handful or two of those 'craisins', or whatever berries are on sale.

Usually serves 4-5, but don't expect seconds or leftovers.
vic

Another great breakfast is

Throw a couple of cut up apples in with ground sousage and potatoes. The apples help cut the grease on the sousage.
Spice to taste. We use this a great deal on Colonial camps in the St. Augustine area of Fla.

oh wow!!! these are awesome recipes... Im going to have to go to more rondys just to try em all ::

Ye who walks on the wind
Your welcome and hope you like it. Let us know how it turned out for you , you can make it at home in a slow cooker too if need be.

Woody

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!! These have been great so far and am getting alot of stuff together for this here little project! Love the breakfast ideas, those are wonderful. Nothing like waking up to a hot breakfast in camp!

Just letting everyone know I AM still working on this thing and it has taken on a life of it's own. I'll have to post my famous apple pie recipe here as well, I trust everyone that likes apple pie, will LOVE this one. Next time I have a free moment, I'll jot it down and put it here as well as in the boook!

Keep them coming!! :master:

THE redhairedwench

Woodhick,
For sure that is a great feast but if i
had a 60'x60' tent one of the two of us would have to go if we were in that same tent :hmm: :hmm: and i would be :blah: :: :sorry: :: :: :) :eek: :peace: :haha: :haha: :blah: :blah: :blah:
I am still snake-eyes :peace: :) :thumbsup:

Snake-eyes
I can shoot the breeze , cut the cheese and pass 'da gas with the best of 'em :crackup:

Woody

FOR BREAKFAST!
redhairedwench,
Incredients:
10 slices cooked and crumbled bacon
10 eggs
2 to 3 cups chopped onion
3/4 cup melted butter
12 slices dried or toasted cubed white bread
1 cup water
2 1/2 to 3 cups grated sharp chedder cheese
To prepare:
coat large dutch oven with some of melted butter
place bread cubes in bottom of d/o and cover with
balence of butter
cover bread mixture with grated cheese and onion
in that order
cover that with the well beaten eggs & water
Baking:
bake only till eggs a well set and enjoy!

Hint:
You can extend this dish by adding baked or fried diced taters.
At deer camp everyone looks forward to this breakfast even though some don't eat it till lunch time. I have found that it is best when at least 2 but better yet when 3 hunters work on this dish and nobody ???? what the other person is adding. At camp this is the MOST SERIOUS OF MEALS nobody bothers you when you are on
cook status. Everybody in camp is fair game for practicle
jokes but me the cook(think about it)!!!!!!
RHW,
thanks for letting me ramble, :yakyak:
snake-eyes
Gotta go :sleep: :snore: :sleep: :snore: :sleep: :snore: :sleep: go :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :snore:

FOR BREAKFAST!
redhairedwench,

Well, OK. Sounds good to me, but are ya sure we just shouldn't keep her on the outside of the kettle????

Donner... party of 6, your table is ready.

People... the other, other, other, other white meat?

Soylent red?

sorry, it's too early to be awake. :no: :shake: :sleep:

Vic, I would prefer to be OUTSIDE the kettle for breakfast, thanks! Although I may be a wench, don't know how much 'tender white meat" I happen to have on my bones! Got to be tough to hang out with this crowd!!!

Now, this to EVERYONE who has submitted recipes for my little project, Again, thank you thank you thank you! I have been working on trying to get these compiled into somewhat order so I can start loading them onto a disc for safekeeping and editing purposes. Now, before I can create a book, I need to test each and every recipe that I've received so far, not including the ones I'm going to submit to the book, since I already know how they turn out! I sure hope there's a lot of hungry folks when I manage to get out and camp, as my cookfire will be BUSY this year!! If you happen to be in the area and have either read or tried ( particularly TRIED) any of these, please..let me know the results!

THANKS AGAIN FOLKS and keep the ideas coming!

THE redhairedwench :peace:

Take a large roast. Use your knife to slice it and roll it out flat and fairly thin. Coat with butter. Spice to taste. Roll it back up and tie it closed. Cook in Dutch oven until heated thru. Serve still pink inside. Make a lot or don't let anyone outside your camp taste any!

I can't take credit for this one. It was posted elsewhere as a way of cooking deer. It is very good. I used Italian sausage spices in then last one I did!

Bwink - You forgot the brown sugar... :: ::

Regards, sse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back