• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

California

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeHM

36 Cal.
Reaction score
All you guy and gals from California speak up, and tell us where you live.

Im up in Mendocino County, on the coast, just South of Fort Bragg, and do my shooting at the Ukiah Gun Club.
Mike.

We live in Cardiff-by-the-sea, twenty minutes North of San Diego.

I belong to Escondido Fish and Game, which has a private range. It has Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun ranges and Muzzleloading shoots once each month.

Claude, that sounds like our club, we have a nice range for all types of shooting, handguns, shotguns and benchrest out to 330 yds, CCW classes and hunter safety and LEO training Etc. lots of shoots, most weekend in fact.
I can tell you, you have the best weather in the US, I lived there for 4 years, some time ago.
Mike.

greetings,
i'm about 55 mi n. of claude.. the ranges around here are closeing up fast.

the only place left is the 83 olimpic range. it's only 50 meters but, it is a classy range :wink: ..

does have running boar and all the shotgun games.

welcome and ..ttfn..grampa..

I'd just like to extend an invitation to all my benighted brethren in the state to the south to move to the state to the immediate north for a more firearms-friendly environment. We do have lots more rain, though.
Bill, about 14 miles from California, and wow what a difference!
P.S. What y'all going to do when Arnold bans lead round balls?

Bill, thanks, I didn't think people from Calif were all that welcome in Oregon, or was that a joke about changing your licence plates before you move there.
And as you know, there are places in Calif. that get a lot of rain, maybe not as much as you, but more than I would like at times.
Yes we have some gun control concerns, but there's not much the sane people can do about it.
We also voted twice to stop illegal aliens, and you can see how well that worked out.
I just spent a week up your way, just messing around in our motor home.
What are we going to do when they ban lead balls? your going to send them to us. lol
But seriously, with a heavy load, you could shoot straight south, and ill try to catch them.
Mike.

Mike:
Yes, I know about California rain, as I am a 1971 graduate of Arcata High School in Humboldt County!
As to the lead substitutes for muzzleloaders, I'm thinking it would have to be a tungsten matrix round ball. Should be effective, but very costly.

Bill, now is not a good time to sell a house, in Calif anyway. And we have lived hear for over 30 years, and Im 10 years older than you, so Ill stick it out.
And the cost of lead, or its substitute is about the last of my concerns, I could make my own for the next 20 years, and that should about take care of it for me.
30 years ago, I could shoot on my own property, but not any more, too many new houses off in the woods.
Mike.
PS: Its raining, what happened, did it miss you?

Nor-Cal Mikie, I see your sort of new to this site like I am, where do you live? And whats a Putter Valley, is that where they play golf a lot?
Go ahead and tell me, you probably shoot at that range in Ukiah. I heard there was a guy that shoots there with a pink 6BR rifle,(sounds like San Francisco Camo to me) and also drives a Pink car to boot, maybe he works for Mary Kay.
Is it true? and have you ever seen him? :rotf:
Glad to have you on this site.
Mike.

I live in the geographic center of the state. Not too far from the coast or the Sierras. Not a lot of rain here for sure. Does get purty warm in the summer but no humidity problems.

Hey Lead Chucker, I'm gonna be at Brushy Creek Rondy on May 24 weekend. Aren't you near there? GW

I live in Rocklin, which is about 15 or 20 minutes from Sacramento. I shoot at the Lincoln Rifle Club which honestly, isn't the best for black powder IMHO but it's a good clean club, I just wish they had more than 2 black powder rifle shoots a YEAR.
I got family in Placerville and my girlfriend lives in San Jose...so I can already see that I travel and visit near two members on here.
I would love to shoot with someone more experienced than I. I would also love to learn more about Trekking and Rendezvous.

yeah i think Sky and i are about a decade late, but i live up by Sacramento. i dont know of any shooting (for muzzle loaders) clubs around here, so i usually just go to mountains and burn powder there. gunna try and make it up to the Sierra muzzle loader rendezvous up by Forbes town this year, and see what that's about.

For those in Cali, can I ask where the law stands these days concerning repro flintlocks and matchlocks? Any paperwork/licensing required to own and shoot? Any restrictions on barrel length, caliber, etc? Any restrictions on handguns vs long guns? Sorry if these are obvious questions, but I'm in a different country for a while now, and the laws are quite different than over stateside.

For those in Cali, can I ask where the law stands these days concerning repro flintlocks and matchlocks? Any paperwork/licensing required to own and shoot? Any restrictions on barrel length, caliber, etc? Any restrictions on handguns vs long guns? Sorry if these are obvious questions, but I'm in a different country for a while now, and the laws are quite different than over stateside.
no problem brother, laws here concerning firearms are a bit ridiculous. as far as i know flintlocks (and the like) are considered collectors items, not firearms in most cases. for example, i bought my 0.54, 42 inch barrel, flintlock from a Tennessee Valley Muzzle loaders and had it shipped straight to my front door with no license or paper work needed. Despite some scares lead ball is still pretty easy to get too. Barrel length is a good question though, i would assume as long as you stick to the normal lengths offered you should be okay.

no problem brother, laws here concerning firearms are a bit ridiculous. as far as i know flintlocks (and the like) are considered collectors items, not firearms in most cases. for example, i bought my 0.54, 42 inch barrel, flintlock from a Tennessee Valley Muzzle loaders and had it shipped straight to my front door with no license or paper work needed. Despite some scares lead ball is still pretty easy to get too.

Thanks for the answer. I thought that was also the case under fed law, just wanted to be sure California didn't have some special state restrictions on these things.

Barrel length is a good question though, i would assume as long as you stick to the normal lengths offered you should be okay.

I guess I'd have to check if a pistol with an 11 inch barrel would fall within the normal lengths... :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back