• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Caliber and charge for coyotes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coyotes are disease carriers.
Any kind of bite from one of them is classified as having the highest risk for rabies.
They can also carry tularemia and other canine diseases.
So take extra precautions if skinning them.

Any kind of bite from one of them is classified as having the highest risk for rabies.
Yes, although they’re much cleaner when the numbers are controlled... if I hunted for fur these days I wouldn’t bother with skinning. My longtime friend and fur buyer will handle frozen ‘yotes which always suited me just fine.

One evening my wife heard something like "chains being dragged around a pine tree." I went outside with my .22 rim fire and a flashlight. I shined it up the bank behind our house and a set of eyes appeared. Then another set; then 2 more sets of eyes appeared. I was drawing a bead on the first set of eyes when my wife stopped me. She said, "those might be neighborhood dogs." I replied to the negative and she stopped me from shooting. I had 4 coyotes dead to rights in my sights but the wife wouldn't let me shoot them. Now when we hear the chain dragging around a pine tree I grab my rifle and go to investigate. Since that time I haven't had a chance to shoot any more of 'em. One afternoon we heard a lot of shooting in the woods back of our house. The neighbors were out thinning out the packs of coyotes. Now we haven't seen any and I never hear the chain dragging around a pine tree. I went to investigate the woods behind the house and that's when I found all the claw marks on several trees. I explained the chain dragged around a pine tree were, in fact, the coyotes scratching the bark off the trees to my wife. So now she knows what the sound of coyotes in the woods sounds like.

How many folks here actually hunt or call coyotes on a regular basis? How many have actually shot more than five (5) coyotes?

I run six (6) game cameras on over 400 acres in East Texas and look at thousands of pictures each year. I do not get that many pictures of coyotes and most of them are all at night, they are nocturnal for the most part.

How many folks have ever heard an actual dying rabbit screaming or crying? I have sat in the woods for over 60 years and never heard one.

Most folks who call, are hunting in mostly open areas and doing so with long range modern guns.

Coyotes are easy to kill with just about any caliber ill do.

Any one who skins are cleans animals for consumption or skins them and does not wear latex gloves can be in trouble if they have open cuts on their hands.

How many folks here actually hunt or call coyotes on a regular basis? How many have actually shot more than five (5) coyotes?

I run six (6) game cameras on over 400 acres in East Texas and look at thousands of pictures each year. I do not get that many pictures of coyotes and most of them are all at night, they are nocturnal for the most part.

How many folks have ever heard an actual dying rabbit screaming or crying? I have sat in the woods for over 60 years and never heard one.

Most folks who call, are hunting in mostly open areas and doing so with long range modern guns.

1. I have, more than five in one afternoon. They seem most active here during night but also dusk and dawn. I often see them at any time during the day as well.
2. My Uncle once caught a young cottontail rabbit that thought to hide in a short piece of irrigation pipe. When he pulled it out it began the most godawful caterwauling you've ever heard. LOUD... I'll bet most young coyotes have heard that sound when they're still clumsy at killing.
3. Yes, coyotes are easy to kill. At close range a .22 will do. Agreed that most BP rifles will do the job within their normal ranges for open sights.

Two of the uglist sights I ever saw were both coyotes. But this was years ago in East Texas. The first one was a coyote with the mange so bad the only hair on it was its whiskers. It was an almost black sunburned creature. The other was also sunburned on top of it head. Someone had apparently cut its ears off for the bounty. And it lived ! That would also explain why it didnt hear me comming. That could be where the legend of the Chupacabra got started, mangy sunburned coyotes.

Caught these last year on the game cam just 50 yards from my back door. Used to shoot them but not anymore. Now I enjoy seeing them, they get a chicken or two a year but hey, they have to eat too. Getting soft in my old age.

IMG_0115 (2).JPG
IMG_0181 (2).JPG

I used to call them in often, in the woods, not the open. Shot more than I want to remember, on a regular basis. Shots were always 100 yards or closer. In those days I used old military cartridge rifles.

I have never heard an actual dying rabbit in the woods either...but it sure brings them in. Last cougar I got came in to a dying cottontail call, right after I changed to a dying jack rabbit call. ? Had another come in to the same thing, cotton tail for a while, then switch to Jack. He came within ten-15 feet...and got away! For sure, if I was out in the woods, and heard a dying rabbit, I'd be 99.9999999% sure it was a hunter. But I have called in two hunters, who had no idea what the noise was, and came to investigate. I shut off the call, and remained hidden, and got a good laugh at their bewilderment.

I've never heard a "fawn in distress" in the woods, but that call brought two wolves within 20 feet of me. !!

I hunt coyotes every year from the end of deer season until it gets too hot in the early summer. I generally call in more coyotes than I get shots at, but i usually get 2-3 per year using my .36 caliber muzzle loader. I did an independent study in college on cottontail rabbits to determine the habitat preferences of the New England Cottontail. I caught many rabbits in live traps, and in the course of ear tagging them they almost always raised a screaming ruckus, that was enough to raise the hair on the back of your neck. Most of my hunting is in mature hardwoods, or on the edge of woodland openings. My shots rarely exceed 30 yards. There are more coyotes around than you can imagine, they are the ultimate adapter to the environment they are put in. Coyotes, and cock roaches will be the last critters on earth I suspect.

50 years ago I sent off for a "coyote call" and got back a long playing record. It surprised me when I played it. I had no idea rabbits sounded like that .I thought the company may have gipped me and sent me a broken record by mistake. Hey I was a teenager.

no golf courses here, just cattle and critters that eat them. saw a big one the other day. he got a pass, no gun with me. man was he big. if i had a grey hound with me he would have been toast or my sons 22/250. my son has rolled them at 500 yards with his 7mm mag off hand. that gun can reach out and touch.

I hunt coyotes every year from the end of deer season until it gets too hot in the early summer. I generally call in more coyotes than I get shots at, but i usually get 2-3 per year using my .36 caliber muzzle loader. I did an independent study in college on cottontail rabbits to determine the habitat preferences of the New England Cottontail. I caught many rabbits in live traps, and in the course of ear tagging them they almost always raised a screaming ruckus, that was enough to raise the hair on the back of your neck. Most of my hunting is in mature hardwoods, or on the edge of woodland openings. My shots rarely exceed 30 yards. There are more coyotes around than you can imagine, they are the ultimate adapter to the environment they are put in. Coyotes, and cock roaches will be the last critters on earth I suspect.
Yep I keep telling everyone, for every coyote you see, there was ten that saw you, that you didn't see. Same with any other wild animal. Don't forget the mosquitoes on your survivor list. :) And ticks. I've shot a few tick-infested 'yotes for sure.

I've caught and picked up a few cottontail rabbits in my time. It's hard to believe the volume of the screams that can come out of that little ball of fur.

I used to call them in often, in the woods, not the open. Shot more than I want to remember, on a regular basis. Shots were always 100 yards or closer. In those days I used old military cartridge rifles.

I have never heard an actual dying rabbit in the woods either...but it sure brings them in. Last cougar I got came in to a dying cottontail call, right after I changed to a dying jack rabbit call. ? Had another come in to the same thing, cotton tail for a while, then switch to Jack. He came within ten-15 feet...and got away! For sure, if I was out in the woods, and heard a dying rabbit, I'd be 99.9999999% sure it was a hunter. But I have called in two hunters, who had no idea what the noise was, and came to investigate. I shut off the call, and remained hidden, and got a good laugh at their bewilderment.

I've never heard a "fawn in distress" in the woods, but that call brought two wolves within 20 feet of me. !!

Wife and I were camped above Harvey Gap reservoir one night years ago and a bunch of high school kids decided to pull in below us and have a party. Told her I was gonna run them off so I slipped down there with my Carlsons Bear call and when I got 30 yards or so away from them I cut loose with the call while I beat the heck out of a little juniper tree with my walking stick. When I quit there was deathly silence for a few seconds... before they all started yelling and hauling bass to their trucks.

You are a lucky man. Lucky in that some youngster in the bunch didnt shoot in the direction of the noise you had made. But it is a funny story.

You are a lucky man. Lucky in that some youngster in the bunch didnt shoot in the direction of the noise you had made. But it is a funny story.

Yeah, I am... I was a lot younger, a rootin tootin buckaroo, and considerably more willing to take risks back then.

I’ve wondered though, if at least one of those boys wasn’t wise to what the “critter “ was out there in the brush... this took place around 1984-5 and the area around there was very rural back then. I hope at least one of those boys took the opportunity to comfort one of those frightened young ladies... :)

I've caught and picked up a few cottontail rabbits in my time. It's hard to believe the volume of the screams that can come out of that little ball of fur.

Yotes too! I was on stand over a waterhole one evening when a coyote slipped in behind me. He didn’t know I was there and cut loose with a howl... I darn near jumped out of the tree stand it sounded like he was right behind me, actually he was half a football field away when he hollered. They are LOUD!!

Back