• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cabelas "Hawken"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just throwing this out in case anyone hasn't noticed. It looks like Cabelas has changed the manufacturer of their store-brand generic flint and percussion rifles they call "Hawkens" from Investarms to Pedersoli. Same general appearance, looks like the sights are a little different. Probably and dollars and cents decision.

OK, we need a plant inside Cabela's to find out what's what. Any volunteers!?

The lock looks just like the one on the Pedersoli Kentucky rifle and pistol, PA, Cub and Scout rifles, and a few others.

But Cabelas ad mentions coil springs,which the above don't have. And I dont remember a Pedersoli lock I have seen or had having a coil mainspring.

Might have to go take a gander at one! And swing by Dixons while there in the area! :grin:

Rusty_Nail said:
The lock looks just like the one on the Pedersoli Kentucky rifle and pistol, PA, Cub and Scout rifles, and a few others.

But Cabelas ad mentions coil springs,which the above don't have. And I dont remember a Pedersoli lock I have seen or had having a coil mainspring.

Might have to go take a gander at one! And swing by Dixons while there in the area! :grin:

I would suspect that the only way to get the rifle under a $600 price point, Pedersoli had to (reduce) some of the quality compared to their "premiere" line of rifles.

You are correct they are Pedersoli's. My buddies a manager at Cabelas and he said that pedersoli already were manufacturing the cabelas blue ridge Pedersoli frontier rifle) for them. Cabelas had been more than pleased with the quality of the rifles and decided to purchase the Pedersoli hawkens rifle as well to be made under the cabelas name. Also they were displeased with quality of the old Cabelas Hawkens rifle made by investarms in the past 2 years, which makes sense because investarms makes the Lyman rifles as well and the quality has dropped with them the past few years as well. By swithcing soley to pedersoli they recieved a price break for ordering additional rifles.

Seems to be old news already. I bought an old used Cabelas 'Sporterized Hawken' a year ago, and went to look it up on the Cabela"s website. It was nowhere to be found in the regular black powder section even back then. I did a search and found it in another area of their site, and it was listed as discontinued. I mentioned it to a couple of guys at the range who live over on the side of town a Cabelas store is at, and they said the store hasn't had any Investarms rifles there in a long time.

Oh well, such is the folly of retail sales, cost mark-ups, profit margins, and those Pedersoli's with the undersized patent breech dimensions ...

Turning Japanese, I think they're turning Japanese, I really think so.

kenichewan Alden. For the life of me I can't see why it would be cheaper to go with the non-traditional styling. After all the GPR and leman 1/2 stock look "right"

Latest posts

Back