• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cabelas Hawken/Lyman Trade...Same rifle?????

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtmattison

70 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm looking at adding a Cabelas Hawken to my collection. They are made by Investarms like all of my Lymans so I figure parts like nipples and sights would be interchangeable. The thing is, it looks exactly like my Trade Rifle with a patch box and some more brass. Are they the same rifle? I thought maybe someone on here may have put their hands on both rifles. Thanks.

Huntin

Compare.jpg

See what I mean?

Huntin

The Trade rifle has a single trigger and the Cabela's Hawken has double set triggers. I have had both and prefer the set trigger hawken.

They are both made by the same company.I got a Cabelas flint Hawken in 50 cal and got a Lyman Trade rifle barrel in 54 cal that was a drop in fit.Either way they are pretty good rifles. :m2c:

A local gun shop has one of the Cabelas sporterized Hawkens. It has lots of checkering and a modern butt plate. I looked at it closely, and the barrel looks new. I don't think it was ever fired. They have had it for a few years, so it could probably be had for less than the $199 asking price. I have also found a couple of TC Renegades. One is horribly over priced, but the other is priced at $189. It has been at the shop for a few years, so it could be had for less too. The barrel on it needs some SERIOUS cleaning though.

If you have a choice, I would go with the Thompson Center. I have a TC Hawken, and an Investarm Hawken. The Investarm has sentimental value since my father and I built it together, but in completely objective viewing, the TC looks to be a little bit better of a firearm. Plus, the TC warranty is fantastic! Just :m2c:

Back