• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cabelas BP target revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Heap

40 Cal.
Reaction score
When I got my first revolver, I shot it a lot, and I took one of the nipples out during cleaning. I won't start again. I must've done something to it so the nipple won't start again. Does anyone know what kind of a tap I need to re=thread the cylinder? I haven't been able to find one that's made for this thread type.

Thanks, Brian

Home Depot won't have them but some'll ask which gun and know the spec off the top of their head or say to e-Mail Cabela's or the maker. However...

You should pretty easily be able to SEE the damaged thread, no!?

Assuming it is a Remington style revolver we need to know if it is a Pietta or Uberti. The threads in both are metric and the Pietta is M6 X .75 while the Uberti is M5.5 X 9. Now if you have a Uberti and that frightens you (not an easy tap to find) M5.5 X 9 is exactly the same as a US 12-28. I do realize that it can be difficult to get a nipple started in a Remington straight but let me ask you a question and I hope I don't offend you but I don't know your skill level and if you had a problem starting the nipple straight do you think you can get the tap started true? If you can't you will end up with a 5 shot cylinder. Hint: the holes for the nipples in a Remington enter the chamber at an angle, they are not in a straight line with the chamber.

Hint: the holes for the nipples in a Remington enter the chamber at an angle, they are not in a straight line with the chamber.

I think that might be the problem.

The Colt nipples enter the rear of the cylinder straight on, parallel with the bore.

Remington pistols nipples are tilted slightly towards the axis for the cylinder pin. If a person tries to screw them in parallel with the bore, they won't start or if they do, they will rapidly bind up.

Rethreading the nipple hole in the cylinder is about the very last thing I would even dream of, let alone, try to do.

Lets look at the problem.
The nipple was screwed in at one time.
There isn't much that can be done to mess up the threads in the cylinder without really trying (like forcing a cross threaded nipple into the hole).
So... if the hole wasn't frinkled up by someone forcing a hardened nipple into it, there is no reason to fix it.

Even if the hole was damaged by forcing the nipple into it at the wrong angle, most likely the threads weren't damaged too badly so screwing the nipple in correctly will probably fix it.

I had a similar problem with a new Uberti Navy. I thought I had damaged the threads. With all six nipples removed, and the problem chamber noted, I rotated nipples until I found the one that would fit, and the rest seated fine. From then on I was very careful about reseating in the right order. When I replaced the stock nipples with SlixShots, I encountered no more problems. My theory was that something was lined up just right, and that I did not need to tap anything.....just be patient. Hope you have a similar result.

That's the point... If the thread ain't damaged, don't fix it! If the threads aren't mashed, and I don't know how you would have done that, make sure you are slowly and gently screwing the nipple in (yes, at the correct angle of course) counter-clockwise till it "clicks," and then reverse the turn. Really should take.

That's the point... If the thread ain't damaged, don't fix it! If the threads aren't mashed, and I don't know how you would have done that, make sure you are slowly and gently screwing the nipple in (yes, at the correct angle of course) counter-clockwise till it "clicks," and then reverse the turn. Really should take.

I'm curious if a buggered thread can be cleaned up with a tap from inside the mouth of the chamber, should the need arise, with the slight angle involved in Remington's?
Any one with the proper metric tap could find out easily enough.

No, it can't be. I've tried it and the angle is too great. If you shortened the tap considerably on the drive end and found a way to start and then turn it it could be done. Finding a way to drive the tap wouldn't be as big a problem as getting it started. Perhaps reaching through the nipple hole and using a broken tap extractor to turn the shortened tap might work.

Thanks for the information,was just a thought should the problem come up.
I like the broken tap extractor idea reaching through the nipple hole top to get hold of a shortened tapered tap nose . Might just work fine!

canyon said:
When I got my first revolver, I shot it a lot, and I took one of the nipples out during cleaning. I won't start again. I must've done something to it so the nipple won't start again. Does anyone know what kind of a tap I need to re=thread the cylinder? I haven't been able to find one that's made for this thread type.

Thanks, Brian

Brian

Best way, take it to a good gunsmith.

DIY, make a thread chaser and chase the threads

William Alexander

Thanks, Hawkeye, I ordered the taps for my gun which is the Prieta, they fixed the problem easily, and I'm now back to a six hole cylinder again. Sure nice to talk to folks who know what's going on. One of these days I hope to be experienced and know what you folks know. Love this forum. Thanks again I sure appreciate your willingness to help a new guy. :grin: :grin: :thumbsup:

Back