• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cabela's .58 cal ??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I Just bought A Cabela's .58 cal (investarms) at a pawn shop for 100 a little rough but I think recoverable. First question what loads for these do you suggest? Second question the nipple is stuck I have it soaking in WD-40 but the previous owner rounded the edges on the nipple so the wrench won't take it off. Any secret techniques for removing it?

First I would remove the barrel from the stock. Make up a mix of 50/50 transmission fluid and acetone, or pick up some Kroil, which will work better than WD40 for penetrating rust or corrosion.
Pour some down the muzzle after plugging the nipple with a round tooth pick and let it sit muzzle up for several days.

Then you might get the nipple broken loose with a pair of vice grip pliers. If the pliers don't work drill the nipple and use an easy out.

In either case the nipple needs to be replaced.

While the penetrating oil of your choice is soaking, give the nipple a good rap every so often with a small hammer. Like the nipple was a tack and you're trying to drive it in. Not too hard! Just a good solid tap.
The vibrations set up by the tap will help the penetrating oil to do it's job.

If you have a small cut-off tool or Dremel, sacrifice a 1/4 drive 3/16 socket and cut a groove across the end that fits the nipple flats snugly. Use the 1/4 drive ratchet or breaker bar to get way better leverage than you can ever get with a nipple wrench.

Try to avoid the vise grips unless your nipple is WAY rounded off and can't be gripped by any other means. Only drill it out as a last resort.

DON'T try heat unless you are 100% ABSOLUTELY sure the barrel isn't loaded!

Good score at that price, even with the nipple issue.

That rifle is fairly unique on today's market because it's barrel is 15/16" rather than a full 1" like today's 58 cals. With the 28" barrel rather than 32" and less steel in the barrel due to the bigger hole, mine is at least a pound lighter than my 54 caliber GPR. Due to the smaller barrel, it's also lighter than my 58 cal TC Big Boar, which has a 28" barrel, too.

Mine is especially fond of 100 grains of 2f Goex or 2f Pyrodex (the rifle doesn't seem to know the difference) under a .570 ball patched with .018" ticking greased with TOW's mink oil tallow. It's so light and handy, it's one of my favorite field rifles. I sighted it in at 75 yards, which puts it about 5" low at 100 and around an inch high at 25.

I've made a couple of changes to mine. I replaced the triggers with Davis Deerslayer triggers (best $50 you can spend). Because I'm geezerly and my eyes need help, I've also added a receiver sight.

Get that great gun in shooting order, and you'll be proud you did!

I've been using 35 grains of 2F Graf and Sons for small game. Haven't used it for big game yet but mines very accurate with 95 grains of 2F Graf black powder. Both loads are using a .570 ball with a .018 pillow ticking patch lubed with Bumblin' Bear Grease. Hope the gun serves you well! :thumbsup:

What loads would depend on what you want to do with it. I have one and usually use 60gr of ff but that's just for paper punching. I've run it up to 110gr but don't see any since in wasting powder just to be shooting heavy loads. I would use 70-80gr for deer hunting.

rj morrison said:

Those loads were developed for the TC Big Boar, which has a 1" barrel, while the Cabelas/Investarms has only a 15/16" barrel.

I have nothing to measure it by but a seat of the pants guess, but out of respect for less steel, I dropped my own "maximum" load to 100 grains of 2f rather than the TC-listed Big Boar max of 120 grains of 2f.

Probably too much of a drop, but I think enough of my rifle (and my fingers, hands and eyes) to be conservative. Other people can make their own judgments about max charges, rifles, fingers, eyes and hands. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Heat. Propane torch on the bolster and then , while it's still hot try to turn the nipple out, a little at a time, working it back and forth with a vice grip. the nipple is going to be junk, no matter what you do. The heat won't hurt the steel, but it will loosen the rust by expanding the metal. I use this technique to remove broken off or frozen brake bleeder screws, all the time.

Im like Brown Bear. I love the 58 and have 4 of them. All mine like the 570 ball with the .018 patch. Im using swiss and they all seem to shoot well with a load of 70 to 90 grains of swiss. Al

the lowest grain weight of powder, start with a load at top of chart ( lowest ). this is the load data I used in my investarms 58 cal. best was 80 gr.

Back