• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CA and the whole "lead ban"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe someone already gave it but here is the California list of acceptable bullets.

I looked at several of the companies but I didn't see one single roundball or even a slug designed for muzzleloading rifles.

It might be there but I don't have the time to fart around looking for it. :(

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Hunting/Nonlead-Ammunition/Certified

I looked around, here is a link that says something about round ball. Seems the approved type is identified with a flat band around the middle of it. Tried to open, but no luck seeing what they meant.

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Search-Results.aspx?q=round ball

no idiot is going to drop a bore light down a loaded gun

Don't be so sure. :shocked2: Some of the most careless gun handling I have seen was by law enforcement officers. We used to have a Game and Fish officer (Arkansas) who was so firearms ignorant I made a point to ask him a "is this legal?" question every time I saw him. He never knew and just blubbered nonsense. And, yes, he did try to look down the barrel of my loaded flint longrifle at a check point. :doh: Idiot.

Roundball said:
Powderedtoastman said:
I'm still trying to figure out what options there are to hunt with lead free round balls/slugs/anything?! The ITX round balls by ballistic products are not on the (extortion) list of approved lead free projectiles. Does anybody have info. on how I can legally take a deer next season with my Lyman Deerstalker? I was looking at sabot's but none of those are even on this garbage list.
I researched, acquired, range tested, then took deer with solid brass balls in my .58cal a few years ago. Deadly accurate, worked perfectly, meets the requirement of having less than 1% lead in its make up, etc.
Posted all the info + manufacturing info here for some CA citizen to coordinate getting it submitted to CA for review / inclusion.
Apparently no one bothered...
Bought a boiler drain of brass that had a sticker that said in the state of California, brass has lead and is a known carcinogenic.
I would not recommend brass.

Some brass has lead in it to improve machinability.. Most plumbing fixtures sold now are lead free but some brass and older brass does contain lead.....
The brass balls the Roundball uses are certified lead free.....and should be easy to get approved by California if they are not already, when the list is updated...

I always wondered if Ball Bearings would work as PRB,They would not contact the barrel,no damage,they are heavy and a precision ground to strict measures??? But they would be hard as a woodpeckers lip ,if you ever got one hung up in the barrel.

Ironic that I find myself carrying Roundball's torch... :haha: but they make brass balls in other sizes....and you are correct...finding exactly what you want is not always an option....

It's a very good torch, fueled by experience instead of speculation.

My concern with lightweight brass is weight. For my interests, there's not enough weight in the balls until you get up around 58 caliber.

Back