• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

CA min grain weight?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Reading through the CA big game regs, I see there is a .40 min caliber for hunting big game. However, there are several online resources that also list a minimum projectile weight of 170 grains for our state. The grain weight requirement, of course, would prohibit the use of roundball for anything smaller than .54 cal since we can't use lead. Not finding anything about this in the DFW reg books makes me think this may have been a requirement in place before the lead ban & is now obsolete info. But I'm curious if anybody knows the story on this. Is it just online BS? Is it obsolete info? Or is it actually buried somewhere in the regs & in-place?

However, there are several online resources that also list a minimum projectile weight of 170 grains for our state.
I’m not seeing any weight limit in the regs. Just some online websites that aren’t CDFW. So…
I only mentioned a weight limit to be on the safe side because of your OP. Forums, such as this one are a poor place to research each different state’s regulations. You need your official state regulations. Ignorance of the law is typically a poor defense.

Back