• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

C-clamp drill

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palonghunter49

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I read an artical where someone used a c-clamp to align a hand drill at any angle. Can someone point me in the right direction. Darned if I can remember. Thanks

I haven't ever seen anything on this subject and I'm trying to figgure out how it could work.
My Hand Drill (powered by arm muscles) doesn't have much to clamp on except the wooden handle so that doesn't sound very workable.

I could clamp an electric hand drill with a C clamp but I don't think I would. Todays electric drills usually have a plastic case and IMO if I clamped on it hard enough to hold it it would probably bust the case.

The only way I can imagine using a C clamp to align a hand drill is for cases where I would want to drill a hole at some angle thru the stock. I might want to do this when drilling the barrel tang screw hole for instance. I could then set the C clamp so it came up over the stock with the clamp down on the sideplate area. I could then rotate it forward or backward until its "legs" were pointed at the angle I wanted to drill.
This would be for a visual reference only and would not really "guide" the drill.

Sorry, that's about the best I can come up with right now.

Any other ideas out there?????????

I read an artical where someone used a c-clamp to align a hand drill at any angle. Can someone point me in the right direction. Darned if I can remember. Thanks

I would think that TWO C-clamps are required to do this kind of work...

Take the first C-clamp and clamp a small copper tube (just slightly larger than the drill bit) in it's jaws...

Now, with a larger C-clamp, hold the first C-clamp/tube combo in place at the desired angle, now you have a guide for your drill...

You can even set the depth of the drill by the length of the tube used...

If you are drilling a piece of pipe or a tube I would suggest a Dowel Pin Jig.

Possibly you are referring to a drill point jig made from a C clamp ? If so I made one & use it on every rifle I build to align the pin holes from side to side & drill the barrel pins, RR thimble pins, lock bolts, ANY thru hole to the other side you want to be Sure where it comes out at. If this is what you are talking about I will take a couple digital photos of it & try to get it on here so you can see how I made it.

For doing the tang thru the stock hole to hit the trigger plate perfect & at an angle if necessary, you can do this also, however I do that on a small benchtop drill press & use a drill point there also, thus hitting it dead center every time. Also can get a photo of this proceedure is required.

Custom Flintlocks & Custom Knives

Birddog6: Anything you can show here on the Forum will be greatly appreciated.

Speaking for myself, I drill the cross-pin holes by hand and use some sighting reference like the blade of a combination square.
Needless to say this is a dangerous method which always gives me the feeling of impending disaster until it is done.
So far I have had good luck but the stress is enough that when I'm thru drilling, I always say "enough for tonight" and go "pop a top" so to speak.

Zonie: I used to do my the same way but I got tired of the fright of it all. I am one of the guys that doesn't want one hole in the molding & the other above it, I want them all the same place..call me picky.. whatever..

Anyway, One day I was about to do some Underlug pin holes & I stopped & thought there just Has to be a better way to drill directly to a point. This is what I came up with. Yes, it is basic & crude & precisely why I can use it.

This is an old homemade "C" clamp made out of flat bar. The screw is made out of a hadened bolt. The end is ground to a point. Other end has a flat place ground so I could mount it into the drill press, get it flat & drill a hole thru it straight. I cut off a bolt shank same size & made a bushing of it & inserted it, on the other side of the clamp is a set screw holding the bushing in place. Back to the drill press & drilled a .070 hole in the bushing dead center.
You make a punch mark on each side of the stock Precisely where you want the holes to be.
You screw the screw shaft to about 3/16" of the stock & set the lock nut (if you want) then you put point of the screw shavt into one hole on one side & the drill in the other hole & drill 1/2 way, turn it all around & do same & drill the other way & the holes align. Now we are talking about a .070 bit & that will wander off if you don't hold the drill Straight. Now, we will see if I did hte photo part of this right.

Dcp4558.jpg

This is using a drillpoint in the drill press. Large spike or bolt is clamped into a drillpress vice, (Must be Straight) then align the drill to the point. Drill a small hole in plate or tang for a guide hole Especially if they hole is going to be at an angle, then go to size tap drill ya need & drill about 1/2 way, then turn it over & drill the other way til it meets. Then remove lock & drill a hole for bolt clearance same way. Put the lock back in & sideplate on & tap THRU the plate into the lock.

CheckingDrillpoint.jpg

Birddog6: Thanks for the information and the great photos. I may have to build one of those.

Oh, it's nice to see a work bench with tools and chips laying on it. IMO that's the way they are supposed to look. :)

I haven't ever seen anything on this subject and I'm trying to figgure out how it could work.
My Hand Drill (powered by arm muscles) doesn't have much to clamp on except the wooden handle so that doesn't sound very workable.

I could clamp an electric hand drill with a C clamp but I don't think I would. Todays electric drills usually have a plastic case and IMO if I clamped on it hard enough to hold it it would probably bust the case.

The only way I can imagine using a C clamp to align a hand drill is for cases where I would want to drill a hole at some angle thru the stock. I might want to do this when drilling the barrel tang screw hole for instance. I could then set the C clamp so it came up over the stock with the clamp down on the sideplate area. I could then rotate it forward or backward until its "legs" were pointed at the angle I wanted to drill.
This would be for a visual reference only and would not really "guide" the drill.

Sorry, that's about the best I can come up with right now.

Any other ideas out there?????????
I recently viewed a video 2/5/2022 of a Jim Chamber’s Flintlock build class where what appears to be manufactured c clamps that are used to drill perfectly aligned holes through the tang and through the trigger plate! Also used to drill through the side plate and lock as well as the stock and the dovetailed barrel tabs. Obviously a specialty tool that simply maintains the alignment of 1/16 inch drill bit. Great idea and can probably be made at home with a good drill press. But if someone already markets them I like to purchase a few. Like the Grumpy Gun Smith says we have things available the old timer did not have and might as well use them! I can’t agree on more.

I recently viewed a video 2/5/2022 of a Jim Chamber’s Flintlock build class where what appears to be manufactured c clamps that are used to drill perfectly aligned holes through the tang and through the trigger plate! Also used to drill through the side plate and lock as well as the stock and the dovetailed barrel tabs. Obviously a specialty tool that simply maintains the alignment of 1/16 inch drill bit. Great idea and can probably be made at home with a good drill press. But if someone already markets them I like to purchase a few. Like the Grumpy Gun Smith says we have things available the old timer did not have and might as well use them! I can’t agree on more.
I would also like one.

I had one that my gramps made and I let a friend borrow it months ago to drill a forearm pin. Now I need to make another, when I do I will post it. Don’t think they are made commercially.
Note to self: don’t loan tools...

Great idea and can probably be made at home with a good drill press.
Yeah, but there is precision involved,, it's not so easy with today's sloppy tolerance clamps that are available.
The following link will show how a "C" can be used as a guide.
https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index...51,353/product_name/MT0804+Gunsmith+Drill+JigThe installed parts of the guide in the photo are just the marking devices used prior to the drill guide,, those two points have to meet precisely and be parallel. (that's hard to do when the massive threads of the c-clamp wobble without even being turned) .
Then the section on the right in the photo is removed and the select drill size bushing is installed, re-alignment with the bit is made and the hole bored half way, reverse the guide and finish the hole.
A common hardware store c-clamp has to be modified by removing the clamp pad from the threaded arm and ground/brought to a point,, then that point has to meet an opposing hole made exactly parallel to the thread arm.
It's tough to do, with too much slop in the thread arm.
It looks pretty in application, but 2 degrees off parallel and you have a straight hole on each side with a bend in the middle, then whatta ya do?
The common thing is to then chuck up the next size bit in your hand drill and ream it out.
That's not the hole you wanted, but it works, 👎
Buy a precision jig, :thumb:

p.s. I sure miss the olde sage's that participated in this topic

Last edited:
I’m glad to see Dixie has them, to bad they are unavailable at this time. As far as using a C-Clamp it is best to put a bushing in the existing hole and re-drill it with better a tolerance.

Back