• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Butt Screw

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reached for my ASM revolver yesterday and noticed the screw missing from the bottom of the butt. I'm pretty sure I put it "where I wouldn't forget it" when I last cleaned this gun and promptly forgot where. It's a brass framed 44. Is this a brass screw or brass coated steel? Can a replacement be purchased? And what harm would occur if this revolver was View attachment 17602 shot without it?
The screw is $2 from Deer Creek Products. http://www.deercreekproducts.net/st...d_Screw_or_Top_Back_Strap_Screw_-_616350.html

As a side note: Dixie Gun Works catalog gives two different part numbers for the screws in the rear grip strap.
One number for the two screws up by the hammer and a totally different part number for the Butt Screw at the bottom of the grip.

It would be easy to see if they are the same screw on Eutycus's gun. Just remove one of the screws that is up by the hammer and try screwing it into the hole where the butt screw goes. If it screws in and tightens down, it is the same screw. If it doesn't thread in and bottom out tightening up the joint, it is not the same screw.

I mention "tightening up the joint" because on several of my c&b pistols, the screws up by the hammer are longer than the butt screw so even though they screw in place, they bottom out in the threaded hole so they don't tighten up the joint.

This is why, whenever I take apart one of my cap and ball pistols, I always screw the screws I've removed back into the hole they came out of after I have removed the part they are holding. (That also keeps me from loosing them. :D )

Lost a small, new, replacement part, about the size of a lock fly, for a Milsurp gun years ago. Heard it hit the floor. I know it hit the shop floor.

The cost of the individual part was about the cost of the entire rebuild kit. Ordered the extra kit and installed the part. I searched through every dustpan of manure along with every shopvac load of stuff before tossing it out for years. Became a habit. Never found it.

Recently moved an arbor press that was mounted to a work bench. The same arbor press I was using to install the small part when I lost it. And there it was, the long lost part, in the dust under the arbor press. Even after finding it, it’s still a struggle not to check each dustpan for that part. You will find the missing screw. But only if you order a replacement. Don’t wait.

Thanks, but would a triggerguard screw and a butt screw be the same? They do appear so in the head size.

After looking at a Uberti parts diagram, they call it a "backstrap screw". I don't see anything listed at Deer Creek. You could give them a call at 765.525.6181. I've never called, but have ordered parts from them with great success. Pietta uses the same screw on the front, and calls the two on the sides the "longer rear" screws. Guess I'd pull the front & see if it fits.

AntiqueSledMan.

I feel it will show up, and I'll probably stumble across it. But I thought the same about my wife's car keys. They are still missing after 5 months.
Have you checked around the gasket of the front load washer and drier?
I know folks have found "lost" pocket knives and keys there.

The butt screw has a much larger head than the 2 screws up by the hammer though it could have the same thread.
I found a metric screw the right size except its a tad too long. With a file I can make it work. Then little blueing. The gun will look "odd" with this screw though. It has a Phillips head. A little JB Weld maybe?

An update, I want to thank all of you who helped out with your advice. As far as updates I found that butt screw after I made one. Turns out it was misplaced and not really lost and I didn't have to buy one after all. I'm going attempt to send a picture of both the original and the homemade one. I forgot to shorten it, but it did work. Now my next question. Is there such a thing as too long? I realize some of the screws could lock up the "inner workings" of the revolver. I referring to strictly the butt screw.
Screenshot_20201003-192855_Gallery.jpg

Yes, there is the possibility of a too long being incorrect. In the butt at the base of the grip a too long head may protrude from the grip and be uncomfortable when held with the little finger curling under the grip. In internal parts there is a possibility of locking up the action. I bought an Uberti cap and ball revolver at a gun show a very long time ago that couldn't be cocked for a very low price. When I took it apart, I found the screw in the hand had backed out and was riding on the frame. One turn of the screw and the action was excellent.

You notice in the picture the "head" of the homemade screw is thicker than the original screw. So far no noticeable discomfort has been noticed (yet) plus it can be filed down. I really don't know why I forgot to file down half of the longer screw. The Philips head I can live with plus that can also be fixed. But I guess I don't really have to, I got the original back now. Plus as Zonie pointed out earlier that longer screw can be used on other parts of the revolver if I should ever loose another screw.

An update, I want to thank all of you who helped out with your advice. As far as updates I found that butt screw after I made one. Turns out it was misplaced and not really lost and I didn't have to buy one after all. I'm going attempt to send a picture of both the original and the homemade one. I forgot to shorten it, but it did work. Now my next question. Is there such a thing as too long? I realize some of the screws could lock up the "inner workings" of the revolver. I referring to strictly the butt screw.View attachment 45098

That screw on the right is not the correct thread pitch, length or head type. If you look at the body of the screw you can see that the threads are deformed. If you screw it into the grip frame you will "bugger" up the frame's threads. Use the original screw and buy some replacements to keep on hand. Throw that screw on the right away.

That screw on the right is not the correct thread pitch, length or head type. If you look at the body of the screw you can see that the threads are deformed. If you screw it into the grip frame you will "bugger" up the frame's threads. Use the original screw and buy some replacements to keep on hand. Throw that screw on the right away.
I'm probably wrong but the threads are possibly buggered up because I had the end of it in the chuck of my drill so I could grind the head down as it was slowly turning. That was the end I intended to cut off but forgot. Like I said it very well could be the wrong pitch but it seemed to fit.Sorry for not mentioning that earlier.

Last edited:
Back