• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

bullet for fast twist 45?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new2bp

40 Cal
Reaction score
New to me TC New Englander with a 1:20 .45 (well, bit tighter, .4485ish) liner by Mr Hoyt.

Looking for bullet suggestions for banging steel at 100 yards and possibly some pig or deer hunting within that same range.

My wallet has a strong preference/requirement of "inexpensive" and my shoulder prefers things closer to 200gr than 300gr :) Will be running them thru a sizer to get to correct diameter...

I've been recently shooting the Lee 405HB Trapdoor bullet in my Parker Hale Volunteer with great results. I size and lube at .460" then run them through a .450" push through die. Lube first so as to not collapse the grooves. Cheap mould, good performance. Gotta like that. They actually shoot a lot better through the muzzleloader than they do in the Trapdoor.

New to me TC New Englander with a 1:20 .45 (well, bit tighter, .4485ish) liner by Mr Hoyt.

Looking for bullet suggestions for banging steel at 100 yards and possibly some pig or deer hunting within that same range.

My wallet has a strong preference/requirement of "inexpensive" and my shoulder prefers things closer to 200gr than 300gr :) Will be running them thru a sizer to get to correct diameter...
I didn’t not know why I didn’t think of this when we were shooting it Sunday bro, but for a dang good, cheap, light bullet to hunt, plink, ring steel, you can’t beat the 10mm XTP 200g or even a 180g. I shot lots n lots of them out of my Seneca .40. I’ll grab a handful of them next time we shoot & size them for the gun & let you see for yourself.
.30 per bullet should make you feel at least a lil bit giddy right

I cast and load the 455 HB Webley 260 gr in my 45 cal rifles. It is a pistol bullet for my S&W M1917 RCMP revolver. They shoot very well for me. These are lubed with Lee Alox for the pistol for the rifle I size and lube with SPG.
455 webley.jpg

I'd be real tempted to find a 2nd hand for cheap smaller caliber mold and get it machined out to a smooth sided cavity for paper patching.

Back