• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bull n stock whips

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birdman

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Anybody got any good sites on the history, use and or construction of Bull and Stock whips? I've got a hunch they were pretty common but now need to do the reading to find out. Also think it might be fun to play with a decent quality one versus they $1.95 junk ya normally see for sale. Any help is apprecieated Thanks YMHS Birdman

Still got the one I bought as a kid (long time back). Anyway it is a decent one bout 9-10' long. When I tried to use it first time out, I split my own top lip. Needless to say haven't tried it since. Must've been my teknique was off :cursing:. Didn't think it was toooo much fun :winking: ...Bud

Heres something funny.
Anyone ever use a bullwhip on cattle before?
I did when I was young. No effect.
The cows would turn and look at me like what the manure is that?
I think when driving them there more motivated by a horse and rider with the whip popping.

Premium quality whip! Goggle "David Morgan Whips"
As far as whips and cows, clip her on the ear or nose once or sometimes twice and she'll remember the sound for the rest of her life.

Well ... obviously Nifeman agrees with that! Ouch :cursing: ... that fits rite up there with p%ss&n on an electrified fence .. you will NOT ferget it I guarantee! :rotf:

Davy

Finding sites with the use and construction of bull & stock whips will be a challenge. Almost all material on use is either in book or video format that must be ordered. Books/videos on general use (cracking, target cutting, and the like) are pretty plentiful, but material on using the whip as a weapon is pretty sparse. You can usually find material about construction - generally just in book format, though.

For history, what exactly are you looking for? Since whips are considered agricultural tools and not weapons, you probably won't find a lot of documented accounts of them being used in combat (or at all for that matter), although it can definately be used as such - and rather well if you know what you're doing. You might be able to find something on the different styles of whip and how they evolved based on need, but again, I'm not sure what exactly you're looking for.

If you're looking to buy, check out this website. I didn't get my 8' Australian Bullwhip from them, but that was simply because I didn't know about them. They have the best whips for the best price you'll most likely find anywhere on the net... and that's all they do - just make whips. They've got some good info as well. Oh, and check out the link for Whipboxing. It rules!

Cherokee said:
Heres something funny.
Anyone ever use a bullwhip on cattle before?
I did when I was young. No effect.
The cows would turn and look at me like what the manure is that?
I think when driving them there more motivated by a horse and rider with the whip popping.

Unless the whip had a "slapper" on the end instead of a "cracker", then it shouldn't actually be used ON the cattle. A whip is capable of actually damaging the hide, which results in reduced income for the seller since the leather would be scared.

When driving, the whip is usually cracked near the head of the cattle to get them moving. You are right about it being a combination of horse/rider/cracking whip, though the sound of the whip is generally what gets 'em movin'. To change direction, you crack in the direction you DON'T want them to go. I.E. to get a cow herd to move right, you crack to the left of them.

Davy
Been there and done that.
Hunting after a deep snow fall, didn't see it was an electric fence. Made the prettiest snow angel you ever saw. The boy I was hunting with said I floppped around on the ground for 10 or 15 seconds, he thought I was dead.LOL
I don't remember much about it as it knocked me out.

Regards, Dave

Afternoon Gunslinger. I'm not really interested in a whip as a weapon but more along the line of a stock working tool. Being a reenactor I love reaserch and was interested in what may have been used in the 1700's early 1800's to assist in moving stock be it mules, horses, oxen etc. I've seen paintings in the past of men walking along side a team of oxen with a long handled whip. The site ya gave is great, never expected the variaty of styles n lengths etc. This could be an interesting subject to research. oh yea I saw the boxing part, sort of reminds me of the movie The Kentuckian with Burt Lancaster. Thanks for the help, YMHS Birdman

I have been using a whip ever since I was a kid and have owned several high end ones.

I currently own a beautiful Morgan whip. 10 feet long. It is by far the finest whip I have ever had the pleasure to use.

To be honest, it better be the best... I paid about the same amount for it that I did for my first car.

Don't know ware you are at ,but I have what I call a "bull" whip my Dad bought for me in Mexico about 16 years ago. It was made by folks who know there leather and know how to use a whip and only cost about $15.00 American. I guess if you ever plan a trip South of the border you could look around and find a good quality whip and also avoid the high price tag mentioned by D'Graths which is not an exaggeration at all as they get pricey fast.

3 stinky dogs said:
It was made by folks who know there leather and know how to use a whip and only cost about $15.00 American.

Whips are like many things in life, you get exactly what you pay for. I have experienced first hand the quality of a $15 whip from Mexico... trust me, there is NO comparison to a Morgan Whip.

Anyone who is serious about quality should be prepared to spend a minimum of $175. However, I have never owned a whip that cost less than $250 that was worth anything. My Morgan was $400 and is worth every single penny.

I do agree for the most part but that is not necessarily the case all the time. Now I don't use this whip for anything as I am afraid that I will end up with stitches but My brother would and can still rip soda cans up with it and has played Indiana Jones many times with it. If you dig you will find quality leather in Mexico. Everything from Bull whips to fine jackets. You just don't go ware the tourist do.

Back